archiving a database

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

archiving a database

Postby rbeddard » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:18 pm

I would like to archive certain records from an active database but only keep certain fields from the record. Does anyone know how to do this? I created a second database with the fields I wanted then I went to the original database and made a button where I specified the action to be "Move record to..." When I try to move a record using this button, it comes up with an error and says the fields from the first database don't match the database I am trying to move it to. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
rbeddard

Re: archiving a database

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:24 am

rbeddard wrote:I would like to archive certain records from an active database but only keep certain fields from the record. Does anyone know how to do this? I created a second database with the fields I wanted then I went to the original database and made a button where I specified the action to be "Move record to..." When I try to move a record using this button, it comes up with an error and says the fields from the first database don't match the database I am trying to move it to. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,

Indeed to move records from one database to another, they have to have the same field format for compatibility. One option to consider would be a text export to memopad. You could create a View that only has the export/print option set for the fields you prefer to keep when you archive. Then when you want to archive old data, you select that view, and then choose Export to MemoPad and you'll get a text export of that data for another time.

Otherwise, I'd suggest keeping the format the same on the archived database but a view to hide the fields you're not interested in seeing. They will still eat up space, but at least they won't be as 'in your face' if you're not interested in them!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS