Syncing Handbase using the Pre

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

Syncing Handbase using the Pre

Postby cbaar » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Are we able to sync our data using the Handbase program on the new Palm Pre? I have purchased the classic application, professional and I have also purchased the MotionApps. I created a timeclock database on my phone and I have saved information to it. However, I am having problems getting that information from my phone to my HandBase program on my computer. Can I make it so that my handheld overrides my desktop? Does this mean that the pre is still not able to sync? If so, do you know when we will be able to sync our information from our phone to our Handbase program on our computers?
Thanks
cbaar

Re: Syncing Handbase using the Pre

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:51 pm

cbaar wrote:Are we able to sync our data using the Handbase program on the new Palm Pre? I have purchased the classic application, professional and I have also purchased the MotionApps. I created a timeclock database on my phone and I have saved information to it. However, I am having problems getting that information from my phone to my HandBase program on my computer. Can I make it so that my handheld overrides my desktop? Does this mean that the pre is still not able to sync? If so, do you know when we will be able to sync our information from our phone to our Handbase program on our computers?
Thanks

I moved your topic to the appropriate group, hope that's OK!

The current release of Classic does not support hotsync, but they have announced that the next version will ship with hotsync support. I'm not sure when that will be released, but they have shown video demos of it in action, so it must be pretty close! When that's an option, syncing your HanDBase should work fine.
dhaupert

Postby chungfoulds » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi, not spoken on these forums for a long time but have just moved from T3 to pre plus (hmmm), and am trying to get the hotsynch to work using the classic version of handbase in motionapps classic. I created a new user and then hotsynched as per the motionapps directions and I can get the standard apps to synch but I don't have handbase synching yet. I went in to the handbase desktop app and set up synching for the new user and made sure that it is set to synchronise, but nothing moved on to the desktop when I synched. I am running palm desktop 6.2 and handbase desktop 4.1.5
chungfoulds

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi there,

Great to hear from you. If memory serves, Classic using Network Hotsync to sync and not a USB connection. If that's indeed the case, I think you may be able to control what does and does not sync by going to the Hotsync app and tapping to bring down the pull down menu. In one of those menu choices, you can select which apps sync and which are skipped. Let me know if that does the trick!
dhaupert

Postby chungfoulds » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Right ho, I done a search and have found that the files are being backed up to username/backup along with the other PDBs, what confused me was that in the username folder there is no handbase folder as there used to be. Now my question is should there be? obviously things will be different under the classic cover and the files are getting backed up, but in palmOS the handbase folder contained its very own backup folder which has saved my bacon on several occasions.
chungfoulds

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:48 am

The regular backup folder is performed by the System conduit built in to Hotsync. If a conduit is not running for an app, the system conduit takes care of backing up to that folder. So basically the HanDBase conduit is not running on your databases! That's where checking those boxes would be required to get our conduit in the game.

One other thing to try is reinstalling HanDBase as maybe the conduit is not properly set up since/if you've updated the Palm Desktop software. Let me know how it goes!
dhaupert

Postby chungfoulds » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:44 pm

Reinstalled handbase4propalm giving me v4.1.5 on the pc I now have a folder Handbase and did a backup and all the pdbs ended up there. However Hotsynch now ends with an error message on the pre saying that handbase3 ! had caused an error. On my desktop the synch generated a log message saying "conduit HanDBase 4 error unknown error (65535)
chungfoulds

Postby dhaupert » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:29 pm

Any chance you can send us the Hotsync log so I can see where it happened?
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS