Question re Entering Numbers ???

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

Question re Entering Numbers ???

Postby Shepherd Jim » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:46 am

First, you have to know that data entry on the Palm Centro smartphone is done via a "teenier-than-Blackberry" keyboard that does NOT have a separate calculator-type keypad. In order to enter numbers the user must press the "Num Shift" key (my name) -- if you press it twice you're effectively in "Num Lock" Then ten of the usual QWERTY buttons produce numerals 1 through 0.

There are mixed fields, of course, general "text" fields where I'm entering both numerals and letters. BUT, there are NUMBER ONLY fields, "float" and "integer." NO characters other than numbers will be "accepted" into an integer field in your database, BUT we're usually permitted to enter letters on the Palm screen!??

Usually, but NOT always: How is that sometimes when I start to enter numbers in a "number" field they appear as hoped WITHOUT my having to first press the "Num Shift" button as described above? While, other times, letters appear -- then I have to delete/baclspace over the letters, press the "Num Shift" button once or twice and start entering numbers.

It'd be a big help if, when designing a database, or a view, or a form. there were some way to "turn on numbering" -- effectively automatically putting the device into "NumLock". Is there a way or is this a development request?

Tnx Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: Question re Entering Numbers ???

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Jim,

It's a development request at this point. I typically try to stay out of the keyboard's way, because every time we interfere with it, it breaks with other models. In Palm OS case, probably not much of an issue any more since there will not be any new models most likely! But I will log this as a feature request and see what others think about prioritizing it!
dhaupert

Postby bbio13 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:52 pm

Jim,

Don't get your hopes up. I've been asking for this for years. Sadly, given the economics of Palm OS (and its demise), it doesn't make much sense any more for the developers to do this. I've finally given up :-)

Brad
bbio13

Postby greyman56 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:26 pm

+1

But I must add that my next smart phone will be an Android one (more than likely), so my vote might not count for much <grin>.

If you do implement it for PalmOS, it should ba able to be turned on or off per machine IMHO.
Cheers, Graham
greyman56

Postby Shepherd Jim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:24 am

Thanks Dave!

Things go fairly smoothly once you KNOW in a certain scenario that numbers will appear ...or not. It's not all that big a deal to hit the "Num Shift" key once or twice on the fly before beginning input. The pain comes when you've entered a string of letters which now have to be deleted BEFORE you can correctly RE-enter the desired digits.

Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Postby jag » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:20 pm

I work around this by implementing my own number pad using a form. Works well enough; I have numbers, a dot and a clear button - there is no backspace, etc. Works for me :-)

Jag
jag

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS