Saved Popup entries trashed

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

Saved Popup entries trashed

Postby Shepherd Jim » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 am

I'm running: HDB Enterprise (& Pro) on Palm Centro / WinXP

For the last 6 months or so I've been noticing that some of my stored popup entries are turning into gibberish. And, I mean REAL gibberish! It seems like it's always at the beginning of the popup text -- the first 7+ characters being replaced with WingDing-like symbols *@)!"?#& and such.

I'm wondering if there might be some popup limitations of which I am unaware:

total string length ?
number of popups ?
characters that cause trouble ?

???? Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: Saved Popup entries trashed

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:25 am

Shepherd Jim wrote:I'm running: HDB Enterprise (& Pro) on Palm Centro / WinXP

For the last 6 months or so I've been noticing that some of my stored popup entries are turning into gibberish. And, I mean REAL gibberish! It seems like it's always at the beginning of the popup text -- the first 7+ characters being replaced with WingDing-like symbols *@)!"?#& and such.

I'm wondering if there might be some popup limitations of which I am unaware:

total string length ?
number of popups ?
characters that cause trouble ?

???? Jim

Hi Jim,

Here are the limits for each of the first two:
Max string length: 80
Max popups: 60

I am wondering if either are exceeded by any entries you have? Should not pose this problem, but perhaps there is a bug somewhere.

An alternate possibility is that you've deleted more than several popups from the list- there is a mechanism for saving info about the deleted popup entries for syncing, and the problem could be there as well. Lastly, it could be corruption in the database caused by totally unrelated problems. Can you find a backup that doesn't have this corruption?
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS