Palm Pre + Classic + HanDBase = :)

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

Palm Pre + Classic + HanDBase = :)

Postby moneil » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:24 pm

I bought the Palm Pre at the local Sprint Store last Tues 3/30. Let me tell ya, it about went through the window a couple of times, but I got Classic installed (make sure you have the LATEST WebOS update, or Classic won't appear in the App Catalog), FINALLY got everything to HotSynch, and HanDBase (in all its glorious, origional, and FULL FEATURED {forms and all} Palm OS manifistation) is there, and appears to work well!

WebOS is cool (except that there are no "categories" for the PIM info (contacts, calendar, to-do, and memos). I don't know if Android is any better, plus the whole "not snyching with the desktop" thing unless one buys more software, they both have going on ~ I can't imagine what the programers of either company were thinking of. The WebOS address book also lacks the 8 user defined fields of the Palm OS address book - a feature I used alot. The other main thing I'll miss is the graffiti note pad, which I also used alot.

I'm running Iambic's Agendus for Palm OS through Classic, and using that for now. I hope I can find an overlay to add functionality to the native WebOS PIM stuff, hopefully one than includes a synch conduit with the desktop. Being able to use the native PIM stuff in a better format will make things much nicer.

Forms aren't coming through for HanDBase, so I need to figure that out yet.

One suggestion, that is in the "fine print" on the MotionApps (developers of Classic) web page, that I failed to notice right off: They suggest one set up a new Palm user profile on the Palm desktop, import the PIM data over to the new profile from the old, then synch the Pre to the new profile. I had synched to my Palm TX profile, a whole bunch of extra stuff came over, and it all crashed and burned ~ had to hard boot the Pre and start over. I also set up a distinct Pre user profile on the HanDBase desktop.

I still don't like the phone hardware yet, especially the keyboard ~ though I do like the compact size. I would rather have gotten the BlackBerry Curve with touch pad, but I wanted HanDBase in a fully functional and "performing" format, and Palm Pre with Classic seems to fit the need. One observation: the Palm OS programs were designed for a stylus touch screen, and using them on a finger touch screen can be awkward.

So far I'm satisfied, and WebOS is awsome, especially being able to switch between multiple open applications! With Sprint's Premier Customer program I'll be eligible for another phone upgrade in 12 months, and looking forward to seeing if there are better WebOS phones, or a better HanDBase for BlackBerry (or even WebOS HanDBase!). I might even take a look at what's going on with android by then ~ maybe.
moneil

Re: Palm Pre + Classic + HanDBase = :)

Postby dhaupert » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:44 am

Thanks for your post- it's great to hear about your success. Forms should indeed work, they did at least when we tested it! Just make sure you're installing the Databasename_HDF.PDB files to the same place you are putting the database files.

In regards to the keyboard, I've tried both the Pre and the Pre plus (and the Pixi) and they did definitely improve the keyboard in the Pre Plus. The Pixi's keyboard is still the best one of the three, surprisingly.
dhaupert

Postby moneil » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:13 pm

dhaupert wrote:Thanks for your post- it's great to hear about your success. Forms should indeed work, they did at least when we tested it! Just make sure you're installing the Databasename_HDF.PDB files to the same place you are putting the database files.

In regards to the keyboard, I've tried both the Pre and the Pre plus (and the Pixi) and they did definitely improve the keyboard in the Pre Plus. The Pixi's keyboard is still the best one of the three, surprisingly.

The forms do work, they were just in the "wrong place", and now that is all good. I've heard the Pre plus keyboard is better, and was going to hold off to see if Sprint would get it (net rumor has it that Verizon only had a 3 month exclusive on the plus, and it is going to AT&T now also), and thought about waiting a bit to see if it came to Sprint. But, I'm too much like a little kid at Christmas, and once I decided to get the Pre, I didn't want to wait (my Sprint rep suggested I hold off on the upgrade until July to check out the HTC Evo 4 ~ that wait would have killed me, haha.) Of course, a big attraction of the Pre was I could use HanDBase right now on it.

There were a number of reasons I prefered to stay with Sprint (maybe what people say about Sprint's corporate customer service is true, but my local Sprint retailer is incredible good, and they handle all issues for me), their coverage is very good where I live in eastern WA state (Verizon is equivalent; T-Mobile and AT&T, not as good), and Sprint's new prefered customer program makes me elibible for a new phone full upgrade pricing in 12 months. With the way things are changing in technology, that seemed like a good position to be in.
moneil

Postby dhaupert » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 am

I have a good friend who is in the same customer program with Sprint. He enjoys getting a new device every year and feels a loyalty to them. I actually was with them since they started in the early 90s, but had to switch when the iPhone came out to AT&T. I felt bad leaving them as well- can't say I ever had bad service!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS