Forms on Blackberry

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Forms on Blackberry

Postby manya2000 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:08 am

I installed HandBase trial and created a Database, then tried to create a Form and was not able to Save it in the Install database to. I only see the Pocket PC device. Then I found out there is no forms for the Blackberry. Is this the way is going to be or is it in the works? I wouldn't mind paying extra money for a version with Forms.
Also I noticed that HandBase in the BB is slower with just 2 records than all other solutions I am evaluating. I hope this is something that can be improved.
Definitly, forms is a must for my applications.
manya2000

Re: Forms on Blackberry

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon May 25, 2009 10:42 am

While we are making improvements to the BlackBerry and have a bunch of features planned, forms is not one anywhere near the top of the list. The BlackBerry apps are written in Java and thus not compatible with our C++ libraries for reading and writing forms. And of course, that discounts the fact that only the Storm has a touch screen, which effects how forms are implemented also. So at this point, forms are not planned in the short term development calendar. But we're keeping watch on the platform interest and capabilities, and will definitely reconsider if there is a good opportunity there.

Regarding the speed, this too is based on the fact that the BlackBerry is a java platform. Java code is actually run an order of magnitude slower than compiled code on other platforms. Everything is interpreted and this results in much slower execution. While there is much we can and are doing (right now working on the speed of the edit record screen coming up actually) to make this run faster, running the browser itself on the BlackBerry and comparing with any other mobile platform will show you just how much slower it runs as a platform.

manya2000 wrote:I installed HandBase trial and created a Database, then tried to create a Form and was not able to Save it in the Install database to. I only see the Pocket PC device. Then I found out there is no forms for the Blackberry. Is this the way is going to be or is it in the works? I wouldn't mind paying extra money for a version with Forms.
Also I noticed that HandBase in the BB is slower with just 2 records than all other solutions I am evaluating. I hope this is something that can be improved.
Definitly, forms is a must for my applications.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry