Emailing Databases

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Emailing Databases

Postby Dlevymd1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:07 am

I am in a 6 man physician group and we all use Handbase with Windows Mobile. Our system depends on emailing small databases to eachother to get absorbed into larger databases on our devices (see the link to my entry in the handbase gallery if you are intestested). My question is: Can you email .pdf files as an email attachment with a Blackberry? Is it an out of the box solution or do you have to add other 3rd party apps or hack the device? Can that .pdf file be understood be both a Windows Mobile device and a Blackberry?
Thanks,
Dan Levy MD
dlevymd@optonline.net

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/gallery.html ... llery.html
Dlevymd1

Re: Emailing Databases

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:55 am

Dlevymd1 wrote:I am in a 6 man physician group and we all use Handbase with Windows Mobile. Our system depends on emailing small databases to eachother to get absorbed into larger databases on our devices (see the link to my entry in the handbase gallery if you are intestested). My question is: Can you email .pdf files as an email attachment with a Blackberry? Is it an out of the box solution or do you have to add other 3rd party apps or hack the device? Can that .pdf file be understood be both a Windows Mobile device and a Blackberry?
Thanks,
Dan Levy MD
dlevymd@optonline.net

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/gallery.html ... llery.html

Hi Dan,

The BlackBerry platform of HanDBase is not compatible with PDB files on the device itself. The BlackBerry uses a proprietary file storage system which does not support standard windows/mac files. This means that the conduit of HanDBase has to translate the PDB format of HanDBase into the native BlackBerry format. This also means, that you can't email a database from a Windows Mobile device to a BlackBerry- it wouldn't understand it!

The BlackBerry HanDBase has an email record feature, but no email database feature. There is really no way to current collaborate with multiple users on the BlackBerry without syncing first to the desktop.

Sorry!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry