Loaded on Storm

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Loaded on Storm

Postby SusieN56 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Last Friday I finally took the plunge and loaded HanDBase onto my Storm. I only synched three of my databases as I wanted to see how it worked with the ones I use the most.

David, it is a good thing that you warned me that the Blackberry platform isn't as robust as what I am used to on the Palm - boy is that an understatement.

I can't say I am disappointed, simply underwhelmed! I may have to try it on my iPod Touch as well just to see the difference there.

I may end up purchasing for the Blackberry simply to have these three databases on there. However, if I am maintaing the same database on two different devices, do I have to change records in each device since the blackberry platform is different? I think so, is that right?
SusieN56

Re: Loaded on Storm

Postby dhaupert » Thu May 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi Susie,

You're absolutely right in your feelings and not alone in them. I've been working on getting a different programmer on the project in hopes that we can move the BB version forward more quickly than we have in the past. Let me know what features in particular you'd like most to see implemented in the BB version. Not promising anything, but this input is valuable when taken in context with other users to determine what are the most sought after features!

Regarding syncing, you can actually sync a database between an iPod touch and a BlackBerry using the conduits for each. In both cases, the conduit offers a shared db option in the Sync Settings. Basically if you have a database that you want to share, here's what you do:

1. Copy the database to a central location, like My Documents
2. Open the Configure menu in HanDBase Desktop and choose BlackBerry users.
3. Choose the user
4. Click Edit Sync Settings
5. Now click the button to create a new shared db and point to the one in your My Documents folder.
6. Choose the users you want on BB to share that with by checking them in the user list
7. Now close the windows and go to Configure, iPhone/iPod touch users and do the same thing. Point to the same file and choose your iPod touch users from the list.

You should now have a database that users can share between BB and iPod touches!
dhaupert

Postby Larry_H » Fri May 29, 2009 7:27 am

dhaupert wrote:Hi Susie,

You're absolutely right in your feelings and not alone in them. I've been working on getting a different programmer on the project in hopes that we can move the BB version forward more quickly than we have in the past. Let me know what features in particular you'd like most to see implemented in the BB version.

Dave,

Seems to me a priority should be how the display is organized on the BB when looking at database records. Columns are an arbitrary width and column selection is limited. I am having a hard time remembering the details of this issue; because, although I have been a HanDBase user for years (WM), I let my BB trial version expire. I felt it was unusable in its present state of development. If you could polish it up a bit I'd be back...
Larry_H

Postby SusieN56 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:57 pm

I would agree that the real estate is one of the first things that should be addressed, along with overall speed. It just is too slow to do anything.

I will use it over the next few days, and see if I can make some specific suggestions. One that also comes to mind is "copy record to new" I didn't find that, but was I not looking in the right place?

Susanne
SusieN56

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry