Is there a "today()" function?

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Is there a "today()" function?

Postby fwyun » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:15 pm

For what's it's worth, I'm trying to create a database for my Verizon Blackberry Storm

I am wondering if there is a today function?

For example: If I had a field "[due date]", I'd like to know how many days away it is.
What I would want is to create a calculated field with the value of "[due date] - today()"

does that make sense? :)

Francis
fwyun

Re: Is there a "today()" function?

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:38 am

fwyun wrote:For what's it's worth, I'm trying to create a database for my Verizon Blackberry Storm

I am wondering if there is a today function?

For example: If I had a field "[due date]", I'd like to know how many days away it is.
What I would want is to create a calculated field with the value of "[due date] - today()"

does that make sense? :)

Francis

Hi Francis,

Thanks for your post. The Date field type can have a behavior of always showing 'Today' as it's value. Then in your calculation you can use it for getting the today value. On the BlackBerry, we found recently that the date field set to this behavior only updated when the record was saved from being edited. We're updating that in the next release to update when you select Edit Record for a given record so that the value is up to date while working on it.

A typical followup question to this would be whether we can make the list view updated to the today date so you don't need to edit it to get your proper calculation. The sad truth is that the OS of the BlackBerry and most major mobile OS' are too slow to allow for this sort of functionality at this time.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry