HanDBase 4.1.5 Development Version Released

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

HanDBase 4.1.5 Development Version Released

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:14 pm

We have released new development versions of the following products and they are now available for download:

HanDBase Plus for BlackBerry
HanDBase Professional for BlackBerry
HanDBase Enterprise for BlackBerry

There are two major change between this Development release and the current Release version.

1. This version fixes the issue with the View/Edit Record screen loading slowly. All users should see an improvement with this.

2. This version should be properly compatible with the BlackBerry Tour. However due to the method we used to make this compatible we are releasing it as a Development version first to ensure there are no compatibility issues we missed. If you are a BlackBerry Storm user and don't mind helping us test we would appreciate you installing this to ensure we didn't create any new issues with that device.

Additionally, in the current release version we had modified the locations of some files to make the install more compatible for users with lower Permissions on their systems as well as for Windows Vista. This release changes the way that was done so that going forward if you already have those changed locations on your system it does not delete your settings again. So, if you are willing to help us test please install this version and ensure that your User and Shared Database settings are not deleted. If you don't yet have the latest Release version please install this one to make sure that your settings are deleted and a warning message appears indicating that change.

Answers to common questions:
What is a development version?

A development version is like a public beta version. When we make significant changes to a program that is not part of a major update (eg, 4.0, 5.0), we like to make sure that no new problems surfaced in the fixes we made. While we did test this application in house and with testers, it's best to keep the current release version as the current release, and only those who are needing some of the above changes can take the initiative to download the development version. Should you run into any issues, you can always come back to the Registered User's page and download the current release version to get back to where you were before. As with any update, I'd suggest backing up all your files before performing the update.

How do I get the development version?

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download
Username: Your email address
Password: what password you were given at purchase (not your license key). If you don't have this, click the lost password option on the above page and we'll email it to you.

Next to each product you'll see the Download button- that is NOT the one you want as it's the latest release version. Instead, select the option under the words: Latest Development Version: 4.1.5 build D1 to download. That will get you the installer for the development version!

Why was the bug xxx I reported not fixed in this version?

This version addresses most all bugs we were able to verify and duplicate in house. If we can't duplicate the bug we can't fix it. If your submission was not verified, chances are we emailed you back to say we needed more help duplicating the issue on our end. If we didn't, there is a chance we missed it or it fell through the crack. If so, very sorry about that. Feel free to comment in this topic if this is the case, and I can comment on that particular issue or follow up with you.

Is this going to be the release version?

If we find no issues, or can fix any small remaining bugs or issues without any major changes, we will likely just release the slightly fixed version in a few weeks. If there are any significant issues, we'll likely release another development version before the release version.

Hope this version works well for you! Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Re: HanDBase 4.1.5 Development Version Released

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:35 pm

A number of users reported problems with the installer for this new Development build not launching.

I believe I've corrected this problem. I've uploaded new builds for the HanDBase for BlackBerry packages. The new build number will be 4.1.5 Build D2.

Please download this new build and try to install this. If you continue to have problems please post here so we can continue to track these issues. If you do have problems please include the following information.

Windows Version
Whether you are an Administrator
BlackBerry Device Model
BlackBerry Desktop Version
Any Error messages you see when trying to install.
Whether you had a previous version of HanDBase installed on the computer you are installing to and if so which version and build.

We apologize for any inconvenience and we appreciate you testing this new build to help us find these issues.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby doctorjerry » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:54 pm

I don't seem to be able to install the latest development version release onto my BB storm. After downloading today "Latest Development Version: 4.1.5 build D2
Release Date: 07/31/2009" and running the setup file I have the following:

Windows XP Pro
Administrator rights
Blackberry Storm (Verizon) 9530
Desktop Ver 4.1.5b
Desktop states Installed Version HanDBase Plus for Blackberry 4.1.5 Build D1
Blackberry states Ver 4.1.00.3
doctorjerry

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:18 pm

We have released a newer Development Version for these products.

It was discovered today that one of the files to be installed on the BlackBerry was not being included in the installer. This may have caused problems with installing or running HanDBase on the device. This has been corrected. Please download and install this newer build.

Additionally the ALX file that the BlackBerry Desktop looks at for the version had not been properly updated to reflect the new version so the BlackBerry Desktop would not likely know to push the new version to your device if you previously had the software installed.

If you were able to get the previous development build installed onto your device it may be necessary to remove it first as the version number will be the same and the BlackBerry Desktop won't likely prompt you to update to the newer version. If you find it necessary to remove it from your BlackBerry first be sure to synchronize with the HanDBase Conduit first so your data is backed up and can be restored after re-installing. After installation of this build the version on the BlackBerry should be 4.1.00.04.

The new Version and Build number on the website and what will show in the About screen of the HanDBase Desktop is 4.1.5 Build D3.

No other changes were made to this build. If you are still having problems launching the installer please let us know.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 pm

doctorjerry wrote:I don't seem to be able to install the latest development version release onto my BB storm. After downloading today "Latest Development Version: 4.1.5 build D2
Release Date: 07/31/2009" and running the setup file I have the following:

Windows XP Pro
Administrator rights
Blackberry Storm (Verizon) 9530
Desktop Ver 4.1.5b
Desktop states Installed Version HanDBase Plus for Blackberry 4.1.5 Build D1
Blackberry states Ver 4.1.00.3

I'm not sure why it would only be indicating Build D2 on the Desktop if you downloaded that build from the website. However we released build D3 today to fix another couple issues discovered. If you are only not seeing the right version 4.1.00.04 on the device then please download this new build and that should correct that problem.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry