Bold woking now. Sorta.

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Bold woking now. Sorta.

Postby palomartian » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:53 pm

Got my blackberry to load a 2500 record database. I can search it and display records. Thanks to the team for that. It crashes both the BB and the desktop synching it, but what the heck, it does synch. Tried to make it perfect by designating my LAST NAME field as a quick search field. Not happening. Works, but takes ten minutes and jacks up the BB in the process (nearly constant spinning clock icon), requiring a reboot to get things back to normal. I'm showing version 4.1.00.03 on the device and 4.1.5b on the desktop. I suspect I need to upgrade the Bold side, but since the BB desktop wanted to load a new software version that is not 4.1.5b, I declined. Today is the first time I've sat down to try this after buying it months ago. The progress since my failed attempts with the demo are encouraging. Keep up the good work.
palomartian

Re: Bold working now. Spelling improving...

Postby palomartian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:41 pm

did the update offered by BB desktop and now have version 4.1.00.04 on the Bold. Resorted to this after some previous failed synchs nearly bricked my phone. Scary stuff. Got a normal synch with the Handbase desktop. one remaining issue: since the install, the battery drains like a freshly rooted sewer and the little "busy" clock holds me up all the time. Where does the software store the data on the Bold? If it's on the device, can it be set to store on the micro sd card?
palomartian

Re: Bold working now. Perhaps for reals.

Postby palomartian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:19 pm

Deleted App World (the ONLY other app on this phone) and seemed to get my phone back to normal. Tried the quick search again. Works, but it locks up the device for 5 minutes while doing it's thing. Stable, but not practical. Oh well. If the the busy timer thing is gone for good, color me happy. Before I try to load the rest of the 2500 record x 50 field databases, I'd like to understand where the data is getting stored so I don't clog the thing up again. Further bulletins as events warrrant.
palomartian

Re: Bold woking now. Sorta.

Postby palomartian » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:04 am

For some reason, after I install HDB to the handheld, I have 42MB of all memory left. After I install 2,500kb of data, app memory is down to 6MB. Can you guys explain this?
palomartian

Postby dhaupert » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:16 am

palomartian wrote:For some reason, after I install HDB to the handheld, I have 42MB of all memory left. After I install 2,500kb of data, app memory is down to 6MB. Can you guys explain this?

I wish we could- we had another user have the same problem with HanDBase for BlackBerry. His database was around the same size as yours and resulted in using up much of his free memory. We're working to figure out the problem, but since it doesn't happen with all databases, any information you can provide me about your database will help greatly. If the database is not sensitive in nature, perhaps you can email it directly to me? I'll try it on my Bold and see if I see the same and then we can look at what is similar in your database vs the other report we have to try to narrow down the problem.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the problem you're seeing!
dhaupert

Re: Bold wooking now. Sorta.

Postby palomartian » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:44 am

Unfortunately the data contains SSN info. for thousands of people. Can you tell me what versions of HDB I should optimally have on my PC and handheld?
palomartian

Re: Bold wooking now. Sorta.

Postby dhaupert » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:01 pm

palomartian wrote:Unfortunately the data contains SSN info. for thousands of people. Can you tell me what versions of HDB I should optimally have on my PC and handheld?

That's understandable. Often when this type of thing happens we can create a test database based on the one you have with the private information erased. For example, if you were to use the HanDBase Desktop, save the file to a different location using File, Save As.., set the filters to disabled, and then tap the SSN number field, choose Set Value To, and fill with a dummy value, this will wipe the private field's data out. You can repeat for the fields that would identify someone, eg, address, phone, name, etc and then save the file. This file could be potentially sent.

If that's too much trouble, understood, but perhaps you can provide me with a layout of the database. Even just the field types you are using may help me see if there is something in common between the two databases.

Thanks in advance!

As for version numbers, the handheld should show 4.1.00.04 and the desktop should read the build number of the dev version.
dhaupert

Postby palomartian » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm showing 4.1.5 build R2 on the pc and 4.1.00.03 on the bb. Just downloaded from the D3 link tonight with a clean install on the bb, installed over existing D2 on the pc.
palomartian

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:18 pm

palomartian wrote:I'm showing 4.1.5 build R2 on the pc and 4.1.00.03 on the bb. Just downloaded from the D3 link tonight with a clean install on the bb, installed over existing D2 on the pc.

Are you sure it's 4.1.5 build R2 on the desktop? An R# would indicated the Release version as opposed to the Development version. The current Release version is 4.1 build R2 and would include the 4.1.00.03 version for the BlackBerry.

It sounds like you might have clicked the normal download link as opposed to the smaller Download link under
Latest Development Version: 4.1.5 build D3
Release Date: 08/01/2009

If you could try that again and let me know if you still have problems I'd appreciate that. If you do still have problems please let me know which specific product you are registered for.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry