wherez ma files?

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

wherez ma files?

Postby palomartian » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:58 pm

I can open and synch them on the pc via the browse option but, though listed on the "Welcome to Handbase" pop up window, selecting them there results in a file not found message. They are also not on the list of files available for tweaking in the sync settings window. The previous incarnation (4.1.5 D2) of my desktop app saw them as deleted on the handheld during a sync. Current sync setting for said files, if memory serves, is "do nothing," but they do sync if selected for install under the files pull down. Any chance the desktop can be forced to see them again? My stuff is working now and I'd rather not pull the app out by it's roots and start over. It's not critical. Just a minor annoyance. I'd also like to unclutter the desktop by eliminating the freebie applets from the aforementioned lists. Is there a trick to that?
palomartian

Re: wherez ma files?

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:49 pm

palomartian wrote:I can open and synch them on the pc via the browse option but, though listed on the "Welcome to Handbase" pop up window, selecting them there results in a file not found message. They are also not on the list of files available for tweaking in the sync settings window. The previous incarnation (4.1.5 D2) of my desktop app saw them as deleted on the handheld during a sync. Current sync setting for said files, if memory serves, is "do nothing," but they do sync if selected for install under the files pull down. Any chance the desktop can be forced to see them again? My stuff is working now and I'd rather not pull the app out by it's roots and start over. It's not critical. Just a minor annoyance. I'd also like to unclutter the desktop by eliminating the freebie applets from the aforementioned lists. Is there a trick to that?

The current Release version and the original Development release would have deleted any of your BlackBerry Conduit settings, as indicated in the warning message that should have popped up when you started the installer. This is corrected in the most recent Development release. However, if you had a release version prior to the one currently on the website then even this development release would have removed your BlackBerry Conduit settings. The reason for this was to change the location of the Sync files, to make it more Vista compliant. This would have removed any sync settings for your files as well.

Therefore, due to this change the Welcome to HanDBase screen, which lists the most recent files you've opened will not be pointing to the files in the new Sync folder, \Documents\HanDBase\BlackBerryUserName\ and could possibly give an error or open the wrong file. The ones in the correct sync folder should be listed in the DB Browser or by going to the file menu and choosing Open. If you were to open those it would refresh the Most Recently Used files list and update the Welcome to HanDBase screen, and the Reopen menu option, after you exit and reopen the program.

As far as the Freebie applets, if you delete those off of your device and synchronize they will be archived on the desktop and no longer show up in the DB Browser or File--Open list.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby palomartian » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks. loaded D3, have that on the PC and 04 on the handheld. Welcome screen is fixed. Still have only the deleted freebie applets on the edit sync settings screen. Can't see my files to adjust settings for them.
palomartian

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:17 pm

palomartian wrote:Thanks. loaded D3, have that on the PC and 04 on the handheld. Welcome screen is fixed. Still have only the deleted freebie applets on the edit sync settings screen. Can't see my files to adjust settings for them.

Are the other database files showing in the HanDBase Desktop? If not then it's likely due to the deletion of settings from before. If you synchronize it will sync the files back into the new Sync folder and re-establish them in the Sync Settings screen.

If for some reason syncing doesn't work please copy the Sync log and post it here. Please also let me know the following:

1. What version of Windows are you using?
2. Are you an Administrator on the computer?
3. What version of the BlackBerry Desktop software do you have installed?
4. What model BlackBerry do you have?
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby palomartian » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:46 am

Well, that was a uniquely unsatisfying experience. I got the applets to go away, I got my files to show in the sync settings, and I got my app memory down to 10MB. Not enough to run the phone on. This version wants to expand a 1.5MB file to 20MB on the handheld. Tried twice. Same result. Going back to R2.

XP, yes, 5.0, 9000
palomartian

Postby palomartian » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:16 am

Tried with R2/03. Same result. 885KB CSV file, 50 fields, 2500 records. Now it takes up 30MB of app memory. Sucks I had it working with the thing only taking up 13MB. Should have left well enough alone. I think the issue is with the final part of the sync where the data is saved to the handheld. Takes a loooong time. What is going on there? Can that be skipped with a sync setting?
palomartian

Postby palomartian » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:59 am

Modest success! Deleted HanDbase from handleld and reinstalled it from the Blackberry desktop app loader. Opened the desktop app and it informed me my handheld app had been reinstalled and would I like to restore the data. I agreed to let it do that, and it shrunk the file down to "only" 10MB of app memory, leaving me with about 25MB. That I can work with.

EDIT: The desktop popup during sync might have a typo. It's called the "manger." I think you left out an L. Muahahahaha. Sorry. Moving on...

re-edit: Tried to load another large DB via selecting "install" from the file menu then syncing. Epic fail. Sucked up a ton of app mem. Deleted/reinstalled handbase from the BB app loader, allowed handbase desktop to restore the databases on syncing, and all is well. I have all the databases set to "do nothing" on sync settings. Whatever is going wrong, it's happening during sync.
palomartian

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry