Export Function

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Export Function

Postby Dlevymd1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Does Handbase for Blackberry have an Export to text function? Is there anyway to get database information out of the device without using a desktop?
Dlevymd1

Re: Export Function

Postby dhaupert » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Unfortunately not at the moment. If there is demand for a feature like emailing a text portion of the record, we can certainly add it in the future!
dhaupert

Postby Dlevymd1 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:10 am

I do think this is a crucial function, especially on the Blackberry platform since you can not email databases as you can with Windows Mobile. Blackberry users (and iPhone users) can not share HanDBase mobile database information with eachother without the use of a desktop, which means these are not truley mbile databases. In my medical group, we are stuck with Windows Mobile, since it is the only platform with this functionality.
Dlevymd1

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:23 am

Dan,

I hear ya, but a mobile database is not defined by being able to communicate with other mobile devices, just your own! A collaborative database system is what you are after in your case, and that's something HanDBase just hints at these days, but hope to expand upon in the future.
dhaupert

Postby Dlevymd1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:03 am

I know among physicians, Blackberry is the clear winner in terms of platform popularity. Many physicians still use index cards for patient tracking and billing. Most physicans would love to use their Blackberry's to replace index cards, but it would have to be easy and convient for them. There is a huge oppurtunity to create software that uses the Blackberry smart phones to replace the index card system with something like HanDBase. Once you put syncing with a desktop in the loop, it become unappealling to the index card carring physician because it adds a step to their over taxed day, i.e. "we have secreataries to do that". In other words, the system would have to be easier and more convient than using index cards. Having created such a system using Windows Mobile for my Medical group, I know what is invovled, but when I try to set up other groups that want to use Blackberry's I can't because of the inability to export and email HanDBase file (the same issue exits with the iPhone. There is a huge oppurtunity here for a stand alone product. I have many ideas. Feel free to email me directly.
DlevyMD@optonline.net
Dlevymd1

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi Dan,

I will speak with you via email about some ideas you may have and those we are bouncing around as well. There is indeed a lot of potential for us in this market, but much of it is hampered by the privacy rules of HIPAA. I think it's important that we tread carefully and make sure privacy concerns are addressed in whatever solutions we make up!
dhaupert

Postby Dlevymd1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm

HIPAA compliance is critical when sharing patient information with a mobile device. The sytem I developed for my group(using HanDBase) is 100% HIPAA compliant. I have discussed the system with HIPAA compliance officers. Encrypton/Password protection of data is only part of the story. If you email data, it has to be via a HIPAA compliant email service. We use NotifyLink and Groupwise which provides sercure end to end encryption for mobile devices and is HIPAA compliant. Also, the ability to remotely swipe the device is in the spirit of HIPAA compliance, should the device fall into the wrong hands. NotifyLink provides this service as does 3rd party apps such as Sprite Terminator. It is more HIPAA compliant to have your patient data on a device that can be password protected and remotely swiped, than a pile of index cards which, if lost, can be viewed by anyone.
Dlevymd1

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Great stuff Dan! I knew most of this from your 'what's your story' post, but it's great to see it shared here. A followup question, HIPAA dictates that there is an audit trail of who accessed what patient data and when. How do you accomplish this within your solution?
dhaupert

Postby Dlevymd1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:34 pm

The audit trail is important if there is a central server where people can access data with a password. For example, if a friend of mine (or a celebrity, for example) is hospitalized and I am not his/her treating physician, I would have no business to access his/her information (eventhough I have a password) without his/her permisssion. In my system, the six partners email eachother information to update the individual databases which are not centrally located. They are located on our individual devices, as if we had a pile of index cards in our pockets (which is the solution that about 80% of the physicians I know use). HIPAA compliance is maintained in that we know who we are emailing to and the email is secure via a HIPAA complliant exchange server.
Dlevymd1

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry