New HanDBase 4.1.5 Development Version Released

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

New HanDBase 4.1.5 Development Version Released

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:02 pm

We have released new development versions of the following products and they are now available for download:

HanDBase Plus for BlackBerry
HanDBase Professional for BlackBerry
HanDBase Enterprise for BlackBerry

These new builds include the fixes from the previous Development release as well as the following new fixes and features.

1. Date change bug where a date would forward by a day in some cases

2. Tapping the middle button (wheel button) automatically goes to the Edit Record without prompting. View Record option is still available when you press the BlackBerry menu button.

3. Date set to behavior "Current Date" updates on record load, not just record save

4. Calculations are recalculated on record load, not just record save.

5. In the previous Development build we had made some changes to the installer to make the software more compatible with Windows Vista and for users with lower permissions. We did some additional research and have made some additional changes to these settings. Due to this change your HanDBase Desktop Preferences will not be moved over automatically. Your BlackBerry user settings should be retained though. After the installation, if you have changed your HanDBase Desktop Preferences you can either re-do those manually or you can contact support [at] ddhsoftware [dot] com for assistance in moving your old settings files over.

Below are the changes in the previous Development release that are still present in this new build.
1. This version fixes the issue with the View/Edit Record screen loading slowly. All users should see an improvement with this.

2. This version should be properly compatible with the BlackBerry Tour. However due to the method we used to make this compatible we are releasing it as a Development version first to ensure there are no compatibility issues we missed. If you are a BlackBerry Storm user and don't mind helping us test we would appreciate you installing this to ensure we didn't create any new issues with that device.

Answers to common questions:
What is a development version?

A development version is like a public beta version. When we make significant changes to a program that is not part of a major update (eg, 4.0, 5.0), we like to make sure that no new problems surfaced in the fixes we made. While we did test this application in house and with testers, it's best to keep the current release version as the current release, and only those who are needing some of the above changes can take the initiative to download the development version. Should you run into any issues, you can always come back to the Registered User's page and download the current release version to get back to where you were before. As with any update, I'd suggest backing up all your files before performing the update.

How do I get the development version?

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download
Username: Your email address
Password: what password you were given at purchase (not your license key). If you don't have this, click the lost password option on the above page and we'll email it to you.

Next to each product you'll see the Download button- that is NOT the one you want as it's the latest release version. Instead, select the option under the words: Latest Development Version: 4.1.5 build D4 to download. That will get you the installer for the development version!

Why was the bug xxx I reported not fixed in this version?

This version addresses most all bugs we were able to verify and duplicate in house. If we can't duplicate the bug we can't fix it. If your submission was not verified, chances are we emailed you back to say we needed more help duplicating the issue on our end. If we didn't, there is a chance we missed it or it fell through the crack. If so, very sorry about that. Feel free to comment in this topic if this is the case, and I can comment on that particular issue or follow up with you.

Is this going to be the release version?

If we find no issues, or can fix any small remaining bugs or issues without any major changes, we will likely just release the slightly fixed version in a few weeks. If there are any significant issues, we'll likely release another development version before the release version.

Hope this version works well for you! Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Re: New HanDBase 4.1.5 Development Version Released

Postby dockdny » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:06 am

Having trouble finding the link on the DDH Products page for the download of the Development version -- could you point to a link? Thanks for a great product and for working on Blackberry Tour compatibility!
dockdny

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:20 am

Hi,

Thanks for your question. I know there is a lot of text in the dev posting above, so it's easy for this to get lost in the shuffle:

How do I get the development version?

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download
Username: Your email address
Password: what password you were given at purchase (not your license key). If you don't have this, click the lost password option on the above page and we'll email it to you.

Next to each product you'll see the Download button- that is NOT the one you want as it's the latest release version. Instead, select the option under the words: Latest Development Version: 4.1.5 build D4 to download. That will get you the installer for the development version!
dhaupert

Postby dockdny » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:40 am

Sorry, not trying to be an idiot, but I followed those instructions, still do not see any link to the Development version. On the Products page for HanDBase for Blackberry, I see links for Plus, Professional, and Enterprise editions, each has a Demo Download button or a Purchase/Add to Cart button. I don't see the words "Latest Development Version: 4.1.5 build D4 to download" anywhere on that product page. Does it matter that my registration is for the PcoketPC platform, version 3.0? Please help! Thanks!
dockdny

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:01 am

Hi again,

The development version is not on the product page- it's within the link that I supplied above, specifically the page for registered users. Indeed the development version only shows for the products you are a registered user for. So in your case, if there were a development version of the Pocket PC 3.x version available, you'd see an option to download it. In reality, as you may know, v3.x was discontinued earlier this year and can no longer be downloaded from our site. If you were to upgrade to 4.0 using the links on that same page, you could then have access to downloading not only the release version of HanDBase for Windows Mobile, but it's development release as well.

It sounds like maybe you have since switched to BlackBerry and are not using your Pocket PC version any longer? If that's the case, then I'd recommend a crossgrade. This is where you switch your platform from Windows Mobile/Pocket PC to BlackBerry. This too can be done on the aforementioned page using the HanDBase Upgrade Wizard links to the top or right of the products you have listed there.

I hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby dockdny » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks! I was hoping to try the trial version on my new Blackberry Tour to make sure it works properly before crossgrading (the release version of the Trial does not work properly as I cannot change databases), but I guess I will make the leap to crossgrade and hope that the Development version works. Thanks again for your help!
dockdny

Postby HAB » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:38 am

Hi,

I tried the D4 version now. There are still some issues on my Storm:

- Sorting of calculated date fields still doesn't work.
- If I try to edit a note field, it's nearly impossible to tap exactly on the note symbol to do so.
- I have to select twice the menu and 'Done' to save the record. ('Back' doesn't work... sie other thread) After that the changes in the notes field aren't saved nevertheless.

Sorry, but compared with the palm version this version is so much less usable... I don't think I will wait any longer. I had to transfer my main applications I used on my palm to a web application. Since there is no possibility to sync the data in any way to a handbase database on my blackberry and it is not quite usable either I won't use handbase any more.

It's a shame... handbase was such a great application on palm...
HAB

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:31 am

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. As you can see, we're actively working on the program and making improvements. But I understand it is not quite where you need it to be. The second and third items should be addressed in the future. The first one is one I have not heard of and will have to check into.

Perhaps you will revisit the application in the coming months and give us another try? Best of luck regardless!
dhaupert

Postby kmf3933 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Is this version still available or did it become version R1. I don't see a link to the development version on the register user page.
on BB storm OS 5.0.328
Thanks
Kmf3933
kmf3933

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:18 pm

kmf3933 wrote:Is this version still available or did it become version R1. I don't see a link to the development version on the register user page.
on BB storm OS 5.0.328

My apologies, I guess I got so caught up with things that I forgot to post that this was officially released. Yes this did become R1 and is now just the normal release version.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Next

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry