Database Appearing Twice

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Database Appearing Twice

Postby VorlonShadow » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:36 pm

OK. I did a search this time, and I found one that was really close, but not an exact match. When I go to the Open screen in my BB, I have a database that is showing up twice. I don't think I have a database named the same thing while the files are different as reported int he previous entry, though. However, when I look at the physical files on my desktop, one of them is named Songs.PDB, and another is named Songs.PDB.HH (I did a search on the forum for .HH, and didn't find anything). Why is is listed twice? What is the .HH about? Can I delete one of them?

Sorry for the overload in questions today. I'm just frustrated because I came from a Palm background where HanDBase was REALLY NICE, and it's got a long way to go in the BB platform.

Thanks,
Jesse
VorlonShadow

Re: Database Appearing Twice

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:39 am

Hi Jesse,

The .HH is just a temp file on the desktop. HH stands for handheld and is used during the sync. It sounds like perhaps a synced file got stuck during the actual sync and that is why you have the temp file still there (they are deleted upon completion). And I'm guessing something similar for the BlackBerry side. I'd suggest that you try deleting one or both copies from the blackberry and then reinstalling on the next sync.
dhaupert

Postby VorlonShadow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 am

That is highly likely. a couple of times while syncing, it seems to have frozen up. It may have just been my impatience (most likely), so I "crashed out" of it. I've deleted the .HH from the desktop, but I'm not sure how to do so from the BB.

Thanks,
Jesse
VorlonShadow

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 am

Hi Jesse,

You asked last week how to delete a database on the BlackBerry. That would apply here as well: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=378
dhaupert

Postby VorlonShadow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:13 am

Right, and I thought of that. Problem is that it's listed twice on the BB. Which one do I delete? Are you saying that I delete both copies in the BB, and just re-sync and the copy on the desktop will copy over? I'll try that and see if that fixes it.

Thanks,
Jesse
VorlonShadow

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:09 am

If you delete both from the BlackBerry, your desktop files will be archived on the next sync. The BlackBerry (or any handheld device) is always the master list, so the desktop follows that accordingly.

The best option is to delete both from the handheld and then install via the File|Install to Smartphone/handheld option the correct desktop database. Then you should also delete the .hh file from the desktop to be safe.

Hope that works!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry