Syncing Changes from Desktop

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Syncing Changes from Desktop

Postby wab » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:51 am

I find that if I make changes on a database on the desktop and save the file, the changes don't always appear on the BB. Do I need to specifically tell the desktop application to "install" the changes on the BB? Is there something else I might be doing wrong?
Thanks.
wab

Re: Syncing Changes from Desktop

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 am

Hi there,

My sincere apologies that your post never hit my radar until today. Typically I check each day for new postings in each forum, but for some reason I never saw yours slip by. Sorry again!

If your database is set to sync, you should not have to do anything but sync to get the changes to propagate. If you ever see this not happen, the best thing to do is check the sync log and see if there are any hints as to why! One possible reason is if the database properties were modified on the desktop, then the next sync would not do a real merge, but the desktop would override the handheld since the structure had changed on the desktop.

Let me know what you see in the log and sorry again!
dhaupert

Postby wab » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:39 pm

No problem. I also posted to tech support and going back and forth we figured this out. Question may have been naive, but some changes sync. Others that have to do with field characteristics (character limits) and other "properties" require saving on the desktop and "installing" to the BlackBerry.
wab

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Glad to hear that- thanks for the grace given!
dhaupert

Postby Nivlaek » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:10 pm

I am having issues with the other direction...

I am not sure if I am doing the steps right. I connect my Curve 8330 to the computer. Open Handbase on the Blackberry Curve. Open older version of DB on DESKTOP. Configure it for BLACKBERRY OVERWRITES DESKTOP DATA under Edit Blackberry Sync Settings. Click on Synchronize...

Sometimes I have to wait more than 2 minutes, other times it is very fast, less than 20 seconds (yes, I know...SCREAMING fast...). But nothing changes on my desktop version.
I even added dummy test data to make the changes visible at the top of the database, but nothing updates.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Nivlaek
Nivlaek

Postby dhaupert » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:17 am

Hi Nivlaek,

I'm wondering if you can take a look at the sync log and see if there are any clues provided. The newest entries are at the bottom and you can see if there is any message pertaining to the database in question there. Perhaps you can paste it or a portion of it here?
dhaupert

Postby Longtime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:57 am

Addendum: I discovered how to install this first of my prior databases (a little flatfile database) by opening it in HB Desktop and selecting the option to install that database. I also discovered HB's own sync utility and used that instead of BlackBerry Desktop Manager to run the sync. The BB choked, gave me a three-digit error message, and I had to tap the Reset word to reset the BB. The database was not among the sample databases after the reset.
Longtime

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry