Problems with Date/Time

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Problems with Date/Time

Postby phuketpeter » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:51 pm

Hello,
I am running HanDBase 4.1.00.03 on my Curve 8320. Gave it another try yesterday after having uninstalled the software months ago.
This version looks nicer and seems faster than the previous ones. But I have one big problem: dates and times.

I have a small handbase where I log calls, not many fields:
date (ask user)
time (ask user)
type (pop up - outgoing, incoming)
who (pop up - ex-wife, babysitter, school...)
successful (checkbox)
note

I created the base on the desktop and added a record dated 7th june, 19:56. properly synched with Blackberry. The record is there but the date is now 6th June, 00:56. I have now tried change the dates and time, adding records etc. But I am always ending up with stubborn self-assignments of dates. Is this a bug? And when I synchronize BB with Desktop I am getting totally screwed up dates/times that have nothing to do with reality.

FYI: I am living in Thailand and use date format dd/mm/yyyy.

Any way to solve this problem?
cheers,

pete
phuketpeter

Re: Problems with Date/Time

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Pete,

Thanks for giving it another try- glad you like the improvements. We still have a ways to go. The issue you describe is indeed a bug and I believe has to do with the dates being treated as GMT dates (Greenwich meantime) and hence translated by your time zone setting automatically by the OS. We have to address this issue and hope to have it done in a new version soon..

My apologies for the issue!
dhaupert

Postby phuketpeter » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 am

Thanks Dave. I looked back in my messages and found that this problem existed since the beginning. Dates are very important to me in all other databases. I hope I won't miss notifications when the bug is fixed, for I now remove the program from my Blackberry again.
Cheers, Pete
phuketpeter

Postby phuketpeter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Dave, I just like to follow up on the issue I brought up a few weeks ago regarding Date/Time. Would you know when the new version addressing this issue would be available?
cheers, Peter
phuketpeter

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:13 am

phuketpeter wrote:Dave, I just like to follow up on the issue I brought up a few weeks ago regarding Date/Time. Would you know when the new version addressing this issue would be available?
cheers, Peter

Hi Peter,

Good news- we actually are testing a fix for it now. Hope to have this update available by the end of next week if all goes well. Candidly, this is the first version being built by a new/different developer, so we are excited about the prospects of HanDBase for BlackBerry finally addressing some long needed bug fixes and improvements! At the same time, getting the project release files built and signed on a new computer requires some certificates from RIM which we are waiting for now.

Thanks SO MUCH for your patience on this.
dhaupert

Postby phuketpeter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi Dave,
Would the new release be ready now? I had a look at the download page and found "Latest Development Version: 4.1.5 build D1
Release Date: 08/05/2009" - I take it that this is still the one that cannot handle dates properly? Cheers peter
phuketpeter

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:14 pm

phuketpeter wrote:Hi Dave,
Would the new release be ready now? I had a look at the download page and found "Latest Development Version: 4.1.5 build D1
Release Date: 08/05/2009" - I take it that this is still the one that cannot handle dates properly? Cheers peter

Unfortunately it's not. Here's what is happening here:

We have been using a development team for the BlackBerry development but because things were not progressing quickly enough for our (or our customers' liking) we elected to begin working with a local programmer. The plan was to let him get up to speed with the program, and then transition away from the contract team. This programmer is the one who worked on the date bug and was able to provide a fix. At the same time, the contract team worked on the speed of the edit record screen load, which is a much more major change. We elected to release that one and then merge in the change from the new programmer after we discovered how well the improvement was working on a myriad of devices. So before this version releases as a release version (not a development version) it will have the fix for the date field and the changes you see here. But as of right now, it doesn't- sorry!

Hopefully it will shortly.
dhaupert

Postby fatboy93 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Are there any updates on this thread? The Date bug is still there in the latest Dev load (4.1.00.04).
fatboy93

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 am

fatboy93 wrote:Are there any updates on this thread? The Date bug is still there in the latest Dev load (4.1.00.04).

We are working on merging the two code bases so the date bug should be fixed soon. Apologies for the delay in getting ramped up with this change/fix.
dhaupert

Postby phuketpeter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:54 am

Hi Dave,
I follow up on my very old post - has the date issue been fixed in a newer release?
Cheers

Peter
phuketpeter

Next

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry