Any Way to INSERT a New Field -- RESOLVED

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Any Way to INSERT a New Field -- RESOLVED

Postby Shepherd Jim » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:03 pm

I've been using HanDBase forever and so think I already know the answer to this question. but here goes:

Is there any way to insert a new field into an existing database already having records?

I know I can ADD a field just be "energizing" the next "Not-Used" field in the "Edit Fields" window in Database Properties. And, I know I can change the APPARENT order of fields by moving them up or down. But, the ACTUAL order of the fields remains unchanged and down the road I get into trouble by mixing up "Field Order of Fields" and "Physical Order of Fields" while importing and exporting csv's ...

-- as of this minute I can't tell you which/what the "Field Order of Fields" is -- anyone have a good hint for remembering which is what?

Maybe I'm really asking what would be the best way to re-create a database including new fields INSERTED amongst those previously existing.

I'll enjoy and welcome any and all discussion! I'm HanDBase's biggest fan!

Jim
Last edited by Shepherd Jim on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: Any Way to INSERT a New Field

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 am

Hi there,

Thanks for posting this. The reason why you can't insert a field or change the physical field order is that many field's settings depend on the order to remain the same. For example, you may have a field with a default value that relies on another field, a calculation that uses values from other fields, etc. These all internally refer to the field by number and thus inserting a field would offset and break all of these references. This is why I added the field order, so you can control the apparent order without interfering with these internal references. Since the export and import offers those options for using the physical or field order, as long as you remember to set it correctly you should have no problems doing imports and such.

Sorry!
dhaupert

Postby Shepherd Jim » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Thanks Dave:

You know me, I'm not complaining. I do realize that inserting a new field would not be a trivial action and I would anticipate having to go "in" and re-define references in calculated fields, etc. It's just in the "early days" of table design it'd be neater and faster to just "insert."

I think I'm reading that the ACTUAL order of the fields is the "Physical Order of Fields" -- I find the "Field Order of Fields" expression to be completely non-intuitive and non-explanatory.

I guess when I'm importing and exporting I'll just always specify the "Physical Order of Fields" for safety's sake.

The real problem is that HanDBase is just too darn flexible! I'll take a break in the shop, sit down and look over my orders.pdb in the handheld. And then I'll think, "Wow, it'd be really fun to also keep track of job-status as a "percentage complete." Why don't I just add that field right now?" ...ain't we all having fun!? :D :lol: 8-)
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Postby dhaupert » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:31 am

Hi Jim,

I agree- Field Order of Fields is not a very friendly term. It basically means the current order as specified by the Edit Field Order screen, thus the one you can change after the fact!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows