Exporting SYLK Error ?? -- RESOLVED

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Exporting SYLK Error ?? -- RESOLVED

Postby Shepherd Jim » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:04 am

Since adding the Android Add-On for HDB Professional I'm seeing the following error in Excel 2007 when opening a .csv that's been exported from a .pdb in HanDBase Desktop.

"Excel has detected that 'filename.CSV' is a SYLK file, but cannot load it. Either the file has errors or it is not a SYLK file format. Click OK or try to open the file in a different format."

I go ahead and click "OK" and Excel opens the spreadsheet apparently with no ill effects.

Does anyone have an idea what the glitch is?

Jim
Last edited by Shepherd Jim on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: Exporting SYLK Error ??

Postby dhaupert » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:29 am

Hi there Jim,

Interesting- never seen that error message before. A quick search yielded an answer from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323626

Does that make sense in your case? Guessing maybe your first field is named ID?
dhaupert

Re: Exporting SYLK Error ??

Postby Shepherd Jim » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 pm

dhaupert wrote:...<snip>...

Does that make sense in your case? Guessing maybe your first field is named ID?

Eureka! Dave, I really do apologize for assuming that the trouble originated in some manner from HanDBase.

What are the odds? ....one in a million?! Whoa! Actually, the fact that Microsoft had the answer right there on the tip of their tongue suggests this same situation comes up fairly frequently.

Yep almost, my first field is "IDno". Rather than using the old leading apostrophe trick I'll just rename the field ...the new database I'm fooling around with, my first new one in Android, is for my collection of rigging knives. Maybe I'll make the first field be "knID".

It's nice to have a friend at DDH! Tanx!! Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Return to HanDBase for Windows