Auto populate with 0 not wanted

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Auto populate with 0 not wanted

Postby dkeiffer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:37 am

I have created a database and have two fields for the database.
The two field types are integer.
When I open the database and create a new record each of the fields is populated with a 0
I have to delete this 0 before I enter the data every time, if I forget then I have 0xxx.
Is there a way of NOT having the 0 auto populate when entering a new record?
Note: I am using both fields in a calculation (average of total) but not in the same calculation.
Thank you,
dkeiffer

Re: Auto populate with 0 not wanted

Postby dkeiffer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 pm

dkeiffer wrote:I have created a database and have two fields for the database.
When I open the database and create a new record each of the fields is populated with a 0
I have to delete this 0 before I enter the data every time, if I forget then I have 0xxx.
Note: I am using both fields in a calculation (average of total) but not in the same calculation.
Thank you,

Bump this question, need answer please.
Thank you,
dkeiffer

Postby dkeiffer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:14 am

dkeiffer wrote:
dkeiffer wrote:I have created a database and have two fields for the database.
Thank you,

Bump this question, need answer please.
Thank you,

For the 3rd time, can someone please give me an answer to this question.
dkeiffer

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:17 am

Sorry I have missed this post before. It's a question that has been answered several times on the forums, so it may be that I just thought I already answered it!

The integer field has to have a value, it can not be blank. It's stored as a binary value that has to have a numerical aspect assigned to it. The only option you have is to change the field type to text. There is no great downside to doing so on the desktop since it's not like a different keyboard is displayed! And text fields can be used in calculations just the same.
dhaupert

Postby dkeiffer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:28 am

dhaupert wrote:Sorry I have missed this post before. It's a question that has been answered several times on the forums, so it may be that I just thought I already answered it!

The integer field has to have a value, it can not be blank. It's stored as a binary value that has to have a numerical aspect assigned to it. The only option you have is to change the field type to text. There is no great downside to doing so on the desktop since it's not like a different keyboard is displayed! And text fields can be used in calculations just the same.

Thank you for your answer, helps me a lot. I will switch to text field.
Again, thank you.
dkeiffer

Return to HanDBase for Windows