Desktop for Android Release 4

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Desktop for Android Release 4

Postby Gary51 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:26 am

Just updated my Android Pro add-on to release 4, but "About" still indicates Release 1, even after a computer restart.
Has it really updated?
Gary
Gary51

Re: Desktop for Android Release 4

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:32 am

Hi Gary,

I haven't updated the desktop software for Android at all since launch- should still be release 1. Are you reading build 4 somewhere? If so, let me know where you're seeing it, so I can check into it- it may be just a bad entry in the release database we keep online.
dhaupert

Postby Gary51 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:00 am

I installed the Android Pro version of the desktop software to my laptop about 10/28/10, and I received a notification of an "update" on it 10/31/10, and I thought the notice mentioned "Release 4". I say this because I am pretty sure I checked what I have on the laptop, and it showed R1.
I downloaded the file, and subsequently installed it, and it still showed R1. I thought there might have been a problem with the "update".
I was surprised that it seemed to jump from R1 to R4, but I guess I figured it was tweaks to correct some post-release issues (of which I have had none, FWIW)

I also have the "basic" Desktop 4.1.5 R1 installed on my laptop that I bought recently (so that I could access my HDB files on the laptop). I bought the Android Pro version for the laptop so that I could sync the Droid to the laptop, and to add Forms capability "later", since I have the Pro version on the desktop system.

I noted that the Palm Pro version I have on my desktop system IS R4. (I expect to add the Android "basic" version to the desktop, so that I can sync the Droid to the desktop system, as well as the laptop. For now, I only have sync capability on the laptop). Side note -- I was advised that at such time as I add the Android "basic" add-on to the desktop, I should preserve the "Pro" capabilties of the current desktop software?

Is it possible that the notification mixed the versions on my account somehow, because I have the R1 on the laptop but also have access to the R4 release in the Palm version? I suppose I could be hallucinating, if all possibilities need to be considered. :-)

May be I misread the notification somehow. It doesn't particularly matter, as long as I have what I am supposed to have at this point, which is all I cared about anyway.

Gary
Gary51

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 am

Hi Gary,

You definitely have the latest and greatest. By notification I assume you're referring to the pop up window in HanDBase Desktop? If so, it may have been a notice about your Palm version, which hasn't been updated either. But there was/is a problem with some older versions continually notifying you when you have the latest already. It should correct itself as we really release new updates, but as you said, you're up to date now and that was your concern!
dhaupert

Postby Shepherd Jim » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 pm

I can report that I have received update notices THREE times since I first installed the HanDBase Professional for Android Add-on on 10/15/2010. The most recent notice of an update was yesterday 10/31/2010. Each time I'm notified I click on the offered link and am whisked to my account on the DDH website. There, I must admit I've been surprised not to see more notification of something new being available. But, being a well-trained user, I've re-download the HDB desktop setup .exe and installed the (what I thought was) new software.

I have been suspicious that the notices coming in were bogus -- the filesize of the setup .exe is always unchanged at 6.87 MB. ...and now to hear

dhaupert wrote:...<snip>...it may have been a notice about your Palm version, which hasn't been updated either. But there was/is a problem with some older versions continually notifying you when you have the latest already. It should correct itself as we really release new updates...<snip>...

A'HA! Eureka! Dave, I hate to be a pain, but if there's an easy fix to stop us from receiving these spurious update notifications it'd make sense to get it out there. I don't know, you might feel that just fixing this bug doesn't warrant doing an update to the Palm desktop -- you're probably right. Maybe you could just offer a "fixed" setup exe to people who came looking for it -- people like Gary51 and me who've been plagued by this.

OR, at least, please tell us how to READ the update notice and KNOW that it's the "buggy" notification re the (old) Palm software which we can safely ignore. I've been seeing this notice so often over the years I'm not sure I'd know a REAL notice when it popped.

Just for the record, if I click on "About" in my HDB Desktop I see that I'm running Version 4.2.0 and that I have the following "Installed Packages:"

HanDBase Forms for Palm OS 4.1 Build 3
HanDBase Professional for Palm OS 4.1 Build R4
HanDBase Enterprise for Palm OS 4.1 Build R4
HanDBase Professional for Android Add-on 4.2.0 Build R1

...and I'm loving it!
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Postby dhaupert » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for the info. Might I suggest that for now, you disable the update checking, especially since you're active on here and will surely see if and when there is an update posted!

You can do that in the preferences. The problem is updating all of the builds and the downloads on the server can add up to a lot of bandwidth very quickly. So I try not to update unless there are a few changes pooled up.
dhaupert

Postby Yodat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:36 pm

I just installed the Desktop version over the trial version, entered my registration # etc. I then spent an hour or so entering data into an existing database on the desk top. When I synchronized it with my Droid -X the new data was not there. Looking back at the desktop DB, the data I entered there was gone too. I looked at the desktop sync settings to make sure it was not set to Hand Held overwrites Desktop and I was not. I changed the setting to "Desk Top overwrites Hand Held" and tried again. Again the Desktop data was deleted on the Desk Top and was not stored on the Droid-X. Data entered in the Droid does get stored on the Desktop. It appears that the synchronization is one way, from Droid to Desktop.

Is this a feature of the Desktop version I purchased or is it a bug?

Android OS 4.2
Droid-X
HanDBase Desktop 4.2.0
HanDBase Plus for Android Add-On 4.1.6 Build R1
Yodat

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post- sorry it's not working the way you or I would expect. The default sync mode for a database is synchronize- this is a mode that means both sides are merged. That is, the new records you added to the desktop side should have resulted in the Droid X side, and any new records you added on the droid side would be back on the desktop. Additionally deleted records should be propogated over as well as records that existed but were modified. The other modes you speak of are kind of one way sync modes- desktop overwrites handheld and vice versa should be used only in special cases.

Now assuming it was set to Synchronize as it should have, the question is why it didn't do a regular sync. A possibility is that the structure was modified on either Droid or Desktop- if you change the structure of the database, the newer modified database will win in the sync and copy on top of the other database. This is because the databases can only truly sync if they have the same structure- else you'd have a bunch of records in one format and another bunch in a different format! When the structures differ and this occurs, the sync log explains this, it will tell you what it did and why. So that would be the first thing I would check- you can paste the sync log here as well if you'd like and I can offer some guidance.

As for your entered data, it is likely still on the desktop, just backed up- we keep the last 10 syncs worth of backups of both desktop and Android versions. They are stored in Documents\HanDBase\UserName\Backup and named descriptively so before you do much in the way of syncing, I'd find the one there that has your data and copy it somewhere safe!
dhaupert

Postby Shepherd Jim » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:55 pm

dhaupert wrote:...<snip>...
Now assuming it was set to Synchronize as it should have, the question is why it didn't do a regular sync. A possibility is that the structure was modified on either Droid or Desktop- if you change the structure of the database, the newer modified database will win in the sync and copy on top of the other database. This is because the databases can only truly sync if they have the same structure- else you'd have a bunch of records in one format and another bunch in a different format!...<snip>...

Dave, could you please lay out EXACTLY what constitutes a structural change of the sort that will trigger HDB not successfully syncing?

dhaupert wrote:As for your entered data, it is likely still on the desktop, just backed up- we keep the last 10 syncs worth of backups of both desktop and Android versions. They are stored in Documents\HanDBase\UserName\Backup and named descriptively so before you do much in the way of syncing, I'd find the one there that has your data and copy it somewhere safe!

Thank you for those 10 backups! And, for anyone who's never looked, there really are 10 backups of the database on the handheld and 10 backups of the desktop version. The only tricky bit I've discovered over the years is that very often the backup file containing the database version I'm "missing" is not the most recent. Working in HDB Desktop I've learned to open a few of the backup pdb's -- going progressively older. When I find the data I'd thought might have been lost, I "save as" and overwrite the "current", active version.

And, to make sure that the database that I have just retrieved will survive the next sync, rather than messing around with editing the "sync settings" (e.g. "Desktop Data Overwrites Android"), I go into "File" and click on "Install to Handheld/Smartphone".

Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:34 pm

A structural change involves changing any of the settings in the DB Properties screen. So changing the name of the database, category, field information, views, security settings, author info, etc all constitute a structural change!
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for Windows