Desktop for Android Release 4

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Re: Desktop for Android Release 4

Postby Yodat » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Dave,

I just tried it again and it still fails to synchronize. I made 1 entry in the desktop database, there are no structural changes on the Desktop or the Droid, the synchronization settings are set to synchronize. Data entered into the desktop database does not make it to the Droid, nor is it in the backup copy of the database. The added record appears to have been deleted before the backup was made. I made the entry, saved and closed the database and then did the synchronize. HanDBase was NOT running on the Droid even though the sync said it was.

New entries made on the Droid do make it to the desktop database.

When I was using the trial version, this all worked, now with the paid version it doesn't??? The one thing I am not sure of is if the paid version I have is the same version as the trial version I had.

Another strange thing I noticed. There are 2 backup files for today. They were made within 30 minutes (2 test syncs) of each other, yet one is time stamped 14:12 and the other is 19:55. Neither has the one entry I made in the desk top version of the database.

Also at the start of the sync, I still get messages that HanDBase is running on the Droid when it's not. Being that the HanDBase databases are on the SD chip and the SD chip is not available to the Droid when the USB is setup for USB Mass Storage, why does it matter?

Thanks,
Yodat
Yodat

Postby Avi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:56 am

Howdy,

I have sometimes experienced things like this where I thought changes weren't saved and/or synchronized, and it turned out hanDBase saved my database in an unexpected location. I would suggest you do a search on your PC for the database name, and also keep track on a scrap of paper the computer time when you do a save - it might help figure out what's going on. If you find the errant database with the changes, you will be well on your way to troubleshooting the synchronization problem as well.

-avi on my HTC Advantage
Avi

Postby Yodat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Dave,

Dude, you keep some strange hours.

I did the search you suggested and did find another copy of the database in an /ARCHIVE directory off the directory where all my other databases are located. The time stamp on it was about the time I did that last sync and it did contain the 1 test entry I put in the desk top version on my last attempt. It did not contain any of the data I originally entered just after I upgraded to the paid version. I also found a number of other copies, but they were made by WDSmartWare not HanDBase.

The program apparently also changed the name from tubs.pdb to tubs..pdb. This database has only 3 fields, 2 text and one drop down menu. It is an inventory of a number of plastic tubs, tub #, item, and shelf location.

Out of curiosity, I just did another sync without making any changes to to anything. I then looked at the TUBS.PDB version to see if there were any changes and there weren't. I then looked at the /ARCHIVE/TUBS..PDB version and the 1 entry that was there is no longer there. The time stamp on the archive file did not change and I am looking at the "Date Modified" not the "Date Created". The timestamps on the 2 files do not match either. The archive file is stamped 11/30/2010 14:12 and the live file is time stamped 11/30/2010 20:15 I made the test entry and did the previous sync at around 1/30/2010 20:15. The most current sync was today at 12:34MST and there is a copy in the /BACKUP folder with that time stamp on it.

FYI: The backup copy did not have the test entry in it either.
Yodat

Postby dhaupert » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:03 am

Hi there,

I think you saw the previous reply from Avi, who I believe lives in Israel and thought it was me. I was sound asleep at 4:56 AM EST!!

I'm sorry to hear that this isn't working for you correctly- as the Android conduit has not been updated since launch, I don't see how the versions differ other than the timeout mechanism of the trial. Let's take a look at your sync log and see what could be happening.. Try pasting that into your response here or emailing me directly..
dhaupert

Postby Yodat » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Dave,

There must have been something about the TUBS database the Desktop/Sync didn't like. I exported the contents of TUBS, deleted the TUBS database, created a new database called BINS and imported the data. It appears to have fixed the problem. Entries made on the desk top now make it to the droid.

Before doing this I tried a test entry in another database and it worked which lead me to believe the problem was in the TUBS database.

Thanks for your input.
Tom B.
Yodat

Previous

Return to HanDBase for Windows