What's the Difference: Overwrite or One Way?

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

What's the Difference: Overwrite or One Way?

Postby Shepherd Jim » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:49 am

In "Sync Settings" what is the difference between

"Desktop Data Overwrites Android"

and

"One Way Sync: Desktop records to Android device Only" ???

I've been getting confused just having things set to simple "Sync" -- when I make structure changes (E.g. put a previously unused field into service, change a field's type, delete and add popups, etc) I'm never sure whether the change will successfully "sync".
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: What's the Difference: Overwrite or One Way?

Postby Shepherd Jim » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Okay, I found another thread http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1182 "Idiot Question: One-Way Sync Vs. Overwrite" where user koolmusick basically asked the same question.
I've condensed Dave H.'s answer:
dhaupert wrote:...<snip>...this is from the documentation for the conduit:
...<snip>...‘Desktop Data overwrites iPhone’ which means that the database on the desktop will always overwrite the one on the iPhone ...<snip>...‘iPhone Data Overwrites Desktop’
. ...<snip>...The option ‘One Way Sync: Desktop records to iPhone only’ will do a true synchronization but only the iPhone will contain the results of this,
.... and the option ‘One Way Sync: iPhone records to Desktop only’ behaves just the opposite....<snip>...

Okay, I THINK I'm beginning to grok the difference. And, I get the "Overwrite": I've been using that for years to force either the device or desktop version to be the ONLY surviving version. Very handy when I'd made changes and wanted to ensure that those changes --either database structure mods or addition or deletion of records -- "survived" a sync, and, as it sounds, overwrote whatever might be on the "other side".

But, so I can really understand it: can anyone give me some examples of when and why you'd want to use a "One Way Sync"?

Happy almost Thanksgiving!
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: What's the Difference: Overwrite or One Way?

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 pm

The most common scenario for doing a one way sync is when a business updates orders on the handheld and wants those reflected on the desktop, but no chance of any changes on the desktop going to the handheld. Many people may never find a need for this method of syncing, though.

In regards to getting the updated file structure to copy to the handheld, it's not a matter of conduit settings. You'll want to queue the database for reinstallation using the File -> Install menu option in HanDBase Desktop.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows