WinXP user account how-to?

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

WinXP user account how-to?

Postby Rumley » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 am

Is there a how-to for setting up HanDBase for Windows for use by a user-level account?
Rumley

Re: WinXP user account how-to?

Postby dhaupert » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:00 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If you're just referring to HanDBase Desktop for Windows, I don't believe there is any restriction against using that on a user-level account. The exception to that comes when you combine a conduit, as many of those require administrator privileges due to their interaction with the registry and other applications installed on your computer.

Let me know what exact product you mean, and what version of Windows, and perhaps I may be able to help you better!
dhaupert

Postby Rumley » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Finally getting back to this...

Our corporate computers all run WinXPPro with user-level access permissions.
I've HanDBase Professional v4.1.6 (Access conduit)

Initial install of HanDBase wouldn't sync. Also the conduit didn't work (as you mention above) - license not recognized appeared to be the error. The install was done via 'run-as' admin, from a user level desktop.
Being impatient to connect, I uninstalled HanDBase, logged out, logged back in as admin, and installed in a straight up admin environment.

I currently use HanDBase via 'runas' admin account from the user account desktop. and use shared databases in a generally accessible folder. The conduits are set to the same 'runas' credentials.
It's a bit awkward because the native sync directory is under the admin account, but works.

So, I was hoping for a roadmap to minimize the learning curve when tackling user-level operation again. (I also wanted to avoid the work involved in documenting repeatable issues, if any.) :)
Rumley

Postby dhaupert » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:35 pm

I wish I had some better info on the site for this myself. David Devaney here once spent a few days trying to ascertain all this for the purpose of improving what we could do under User Level syncing. The problem came that it keeps changing on each new OS. We could possibly get things to work in a user level configuration on XP but then it would not run at all on Vista or W7, and vice versa. It's almost like we need different installers for each of them. Unfortunately resources are so tight here, we just made the call to say that for now, admin level privileges are required to run our desktop apps and hope to some day revisit to improve the situation. Sorry I don't have better news!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows