Fields flagged for encryption cannot be sorted

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Postby bradonline » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:10 pm

On both HanDBase Desktop and iPhone if you click on field header for an encrypted field sorting does not occur.
Desktop version throws this error: This field is flagged for encrypted, and therefore cannot be sorted.

However encrypted fields can be sorted within views and with the sorting button.

Can you fix the field headers to sort encrypted fields?
Thanks
Brad
bradonline

Re: Fields flagged for encryption cannot be sorted

Postby dhaupert » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi there,

It's actually blocked by design- if the data is encrypted we don't know what the value is to know where it lies in it's sort position. So the program should be blocking you from selecting this and where it doesn't is actually a bug in the program- sorry!
dhaupert

Postby bradonline » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi
Guess I was not clear. This is after entire database is decrypted. An unencrypted database cannot be sorted by fields marked for encryption. I am trying to sort unencrypted data with known values. Encryption will not take place until database close.

Thanks
Brad
bradonline

Re: Fields flagged for encryption cannot be sorted

Postby dhaupert » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks Brad for your followup- by nature of the fact that you can easily merge in database records that are encrypted, as well as a myriad of other ways to encrypt it, the limitation is in place regardless of whether you're currently encrypted or not. Otherwise, when you reopened the database and didn't decrypt, the app would not know how to display the records so it's best for us just to block things. If you'd like to try a workaround, perhaps you can try this:

Use a calculated field that is the field you wish to sort by + 0. Set this to not encrypt. You can then sort by this value. Then when the database is encrypted, the value will be (in theory) 0 and the sort thus effectively inert. But when the values are decrypted, this should result in a good sort. Truth be told I'm not sure if this will work out, just an idea off the top of my head!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows