Sync on the network from 2 computers

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Sync on the network from 2 computers

Postby Saintor » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:35 pm

I understand that all of the following is unsupported and with risks that I'll assume.

I was able to change a registry key so the desktop will sync with a network folder. Our Ipods sync on the network and I use only shared databases. That part works.

I am considering adding a second computer. On the same wireless network, Is it possible to have 2 computers to feed shared PDB files? I use only "One-way sync : iPhone records to Desktop only". Aside from the log (Handbasesync) is there a local file (C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\HanDBase4\HD.ini or equivalent) on the first computer that keeps the state of the last sync and should not be messed? Any other registry key to change than DesktopDatabaseDir? TIA
Saintor

Re: Sync on the network from 2 computers

Postby dhaupert » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. We don't keep any state files or anything of the type- you should be able to point multiple computers/users/etc to the same file and as long as they are all using the same structured database, they can sync to it. The only possible issue comes when more than one computer is syncing at the same time. At that time, you may find that one of the device's changes don't make it to the final database, since the last one to write the file may overwrite the changes the other one wrote just seconds before. That usually is not as bad as it seems, since the device still has the records, and on the very next sync, it should be rectified. That would hold true unless you are using a mode like delete handheld records after sync, which most users are not using.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows