Sync to and from a Truecrypt folder

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Sync to and from a Truecrypt folder

Postby rib-rider » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:22 am

Hi, since I'm not very IT savvy this may seem a dumb question.

However, I have a small number of Access databases stored on a secure (Truecrypt) vault of my disc which when mounted appears as a different disc partition from the system 'C' partition which is not secured, (there are good reasons for this). So when I first synced the Android device (HTC Desire) with the desk top I noticed that HanDbase stored a sync folder on the PC in Documents and Setting>User>My documents I therefore removed that folder to the recycle bin (it's still there) since I only want to sync the device when the Truecrypt vault is mounted (and the sync folder was not on a secure part of the PC).
Now when I open HanDbase desktop there are no dbs shown on the File>open sheet and if I try to "re-open" from a list of files shown I get the message "Cannot find file." To locate the file I have to browse each time for the file and open it from within the folder in the Truecrypt vault. Then when I've modified the file it cannot be synced or downloaded to the device other than by a disk to disk copy. I could restore the HanDbase folder to the unsecure 'C' partition but this seems to defeat the object of having the database in an encrypted location on the PC. HTC sync for outlook recognizes and syncs the .ost and .pst folders seamlessly to the same Truecrypt vault in which the databases are also located (having also been removed from the 'C' partition). Windows sync before that also worked similarly, so this behaviour of HanDbase seems strange. I have the work around given above but is there anyway for HanDbase desktop to "remember" and use folder locations other than those on the 'C' drive?

Cheers
rib-rider
rib-rider

Re: Sync to and from a Truecrypt folder

Postby dhaupert » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:40 am

Hi there,

From your posting, I think you are quite IT savvy- don't sell yourself short! To answer your question- HanDBase always syncs a database by default to the HanDBase folder it creates (with the user name subfolder). That said, you can override this for individual databases. Let's say that you have a database called Passwords that you want to sync not to that folder, but to a TrueCrypt partition showing mounted as drive L:
First sync your device with the desktop. Now to go the Sync Settings and create a shared database. Point to the database file stored on Drive L that you want to sync to. If there isn't yet a file there, move the one it's synced by default to that HanDBase folder.

Now on the next sync, the database on the device will sync to that mapped drive letter from TrueCrypt.

For the case of the desktop- when you select File|Open it parses those folders it created to show you all databases for a user name's folder there. Any shared database that is not in that folder will not show up in the list. Here's what you can do for that:
Select the Manage Users button.
Create a new custom user.
Point to the path on the drive L mapped TrueCrypt drive and path
Give it a name, like TrueCrypt databases.

Now when you select File|Open you can choose the TrueCrypt databases user from the drop down and see the database(s) you have stored there. Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Re: Sync to and from a Truecrypt folder

Postby rib-rider » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Just brilliant. Thanks for that very concise and easily understood explanation.
I re-installed the desktop before following your instructions and it synced first time and I can now open the dbases using the "open" command.

Excellent
Cheers
rib-rider
rib-rider

Return to HanDBase for Windows