HanDbase File Locations (again)

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

HanDbase File Locations (again)

Postby snoApple » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:39 pm

On April 10, 2010 there was a thread in this forum started by "Geoff" titled "HanDbase File Locations" which raised basically the same concerns that I have. Unfortunately, there were no replies. Perhaps it was inadvertently overlooked or maybe Geoff obtained the information in another way.

In any case, I need to know which file locations are up to the User and which are required by HanDBase. I have read sveral threads and posts in this forum that touch on the topic but none provide a clear answer to my question. My concern arises from the following:

1. Having experienced various difficulties in trying to get an existing Access table from my Windows XP into HanDBbase Desktop, then onto my iPad and then changes back to the original Access table, I started doing controlled tests with simpler tables.

2. I created a Test Folder [c:\DATA\db Testing]. In it I created a simple Access file [.accdb] with a simple Table, which contained 2 records. In HanDBase Desktop I used the Import ODBC into New Database feature to create Simple.PDB (from the Access table) in the Test Folder. So far so good.

3. I edited the PDB (in the Test Folder) by adding a record and editing a text field in an existing record. I then "installed" the PDB onto my iPad via the configure option. Again, so far, so good. HanDBase on the iPad now had the table, including the edited 2nd record and the new 3rd record. On my iPad, I added a 4th record.

4. I then synchronized again. The 4th record did not show up in the PDB in the Test Folder.

5. Instead, there is now a version of the PDB in My Documents [C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce.BDW09\My Documents\HanDBase\BrucesiPad] and it does contain the 4th record.

So my questions are:

(A) Should I have created my original PDB in My Documents instead of a folder of my choice?

(B) Or, did I overlook a setting that would have synchronized the table on the iPad with the table in the Test Folder?

(C) When I take the next step and try and set-up synchronization between the PDB on my Computer and the Access table, which version of the PDB should I use?

I hope you can respond quickly and clear up some of the confusion. For the future, please feel free to let me know if this information appears in the documentation somewhere, as I looked but did not see it.

Bruce

----------
Long-time user of Smart-Lists-to-Go on Palm OS hoping to switch to HanDBase because it has an iPad version.
snoApple

Re: HanDbase File Locations (again)

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:13 am

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your posting. If there was a post not responded to, it was certainly accidental! Often times I receive an email with the same text as a posting so I may have answered his question there.

To address your question, HanDBase creates a mirror of the smartphone/tablet database in a folder on the desktop computer. This mirror folder is typically located within the My Documents (or Documents on Mac) folder and within a HanDBase subfolder. The folder name matches that of your device. Any changes made on the iPad or other device will be reflected in that folder and any changes made to that folder's databases will also be synced to the device.

That said, you can have a database file anywhere on your computer and open it in the HanDBase Desktop. Just know that the changes made will not be synced anywhere under normal circumstances.

What do I mean by that? Well, despite all I said above, the behavior can be overridden. When you go to the Sync Settings for a device (under Configure, Sync/Configure iPhone/iPad Devices and then under Sync Settings), you will see a section for shared databases. These are databases that are typically stored in a central location, rather than in the mirror folder mentioned above. So for example, if you have multiple devices and want to sync them together, you may elect to place them in a folder that is more central, such as the desktop, or the My Documents root folder. You may also want to place them on a shared/mapped drive, so other computers can access or sync to the database. This is where those changes are made- you can add a shared database and then point to that file where ever you have it stored. From then on the conduit will look for the database in that folder. Please note that the File|Open command does not yet take into account these shared locations when it lists files for each user- it just looks in the mirror folder for databases, so you'd have to use the Browse button to go to it manually yourself. In v5 of HanDBase I hope to make these shared locations reflected in the File Open dialog for a user.

I hope this answers your questions- let me know if it doesn't!
dhaupert

Initial Location for New PDB

Postby snoApple » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks, Dave.

One follow-up :?:

Assuming I do not go the "shared" route, should I create an initial PDB (from an existing Access table) in the folder that HanDBase will use for syncing? (In my case, C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce.BDW09\My Documents\HanDBase\BrucesiPad.)

It seems that would avoid creating a PDB one place and then having HanDBase Desktop create an active copy (for syncing) somewhere else.

Bruce
----------
Long-time user of Smart-Lists-to-Go on Palm OS hoping to switch to HanDBase because it has an iPad version.
snoApple

Postby dhaupert » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:44 am

Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the delayed reply. That's a good question. When syncing, we have to have a way to determine if a database was deleted on one side, or if that database was newly added to the other. To do so, I have made the master list be that of the device, not the desktop. So if you create a database in the desktop folder and that database doesn't already exist on the device, on the next sync, the conduit will think that the database was just deleted from the device and then archive it from the desktop as well. So you're better off using the File|Install to Smartphone/handheld to get a created file queued up to sync/install to the device. In this case, it flags that new database so that the conduit knows to install it to the device AND put it in the user folder on the desktop.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Syncing New HanDBase on Device

Postby snoApple » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 pm

This is sort of the reverse of my initial question.

I created a new HanDBase on my iPad. Then I wanted to sync with the HanDBase Desktop. But the HanDBase Desktop does not seem to know about it, even though I have run a couple of syncs, and therefore the new HanDBase on the iPad is not created on the Desktop and will not sync with the Desktop.

Is there a way to let the Desktop know about a new HanDBase on the iPad, so syncing can happen? (Other than start over and create it first on the Desktop?)

Bruce
----------
snoApple

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Bruce,

The iPad acts as the master list so the sync should happen automatically when you sync. If it's not happening, I'd check the sync log- feel free to paste it here or email it to me if you'd prefer and we can see if there are any reasons why it didn't sync!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows