Error: File selected is not a HanDBase 3.0 Database!

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Error: File selected is not a HanDBase 3.0 Database!

Postby nafod » Tue May 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi,

Running Desktop v4.2.0 on Windows 7 (64 bit). Syncing to HTC Desire running Android 2.2

By accident I deleted my mobile profile on the desktop. I couldn't get a new user profile to sync, so I backed up the data on my phone and the desktop sync folders for HanDBase and uninstalled the desktop and phone programs. I then reinstalled the desktop and phone programs. I was able to re-establish the desktop / phone pairing and I was able to open all the databases that were in the Handbase sync folder on my desktop (Hooray!). I then tried opening the most recent version of my main database that had been on my phone (as it hadn't been synced for a while with HanDBase desktop) but couldn't get it to open.

If I try and open it in the Desktop program, I get the message "Error: File selected is not a HanDBase 3.0 Database!"
I've tried copying the file over to my Phone into the same folder as all the other HanDBase databases but it doesn't appear in the list of database in the app.
On the off chance that my latest version on my phone was corrupt, I tried using a slightly older version (but still more recent than the last Desktop sync) that I had backed up on a Network disk. Same problem.

Is there an V3.0 of HanDBase available for download so I can try to export to CSV then reimport to v 4.2? Is there anyway to repair the database file (if it's corrupted)? Are my most recent changes to my database lost for ever?

Thanks.

James
nafod

Re: Error: File selected is not a HanDBase 3.0 Database!

Postby dhaupert » Tue May 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi James,

Sorry to hear of your trouble here. The message is stating that it's not a 3.0 database, so having a copy of HanDBase 3.0 wouldn't help! In actuality, the program can open anything from HanDBase 3.0 up to 4.2, so what this means is that the database file is corrupt- there is no way it would just be an older version since those haven't existed for nearly 10 years now!

Check the file size- a real database is typically 40KB or larger. If you'd like to send me a file I can take a look as well (my email is below).

Since HanDBase keeps multiple backups, hopefully you'll be able to revert to an older version. If you look in this folder:
Documents\HanDBase\Username\Backup - where Username is the name of your partnership, you should see a multitude of files, each named appropriately. Try opening one of those in the desktop and when you find a version that is working and as new as possible, you can restore this to the device by choosing File|Install to Smartphone/Handheld. Choose your user from the list and then sync.

Let me know how you make out!
dhaupert

Re: Error: File selected is not a HanDBase 3.0 Database!

Postby nafod » Wed May 25, 2011 2:30 am

Here's hoping!!!!!

I've sent you an email and a copy of the database.

Thanks.

James
nafod

Return to HanDBase for Windows