Windows 8 is a wow!

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Windows 8 is a wow!

Postby richardmata555 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi guys,

I just saw a teaser of Windows 8 at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw ... ata_player and by the looks of it, its definitely gonna bring back Microsoft to the position.

Thus, I would like to suggest to DDH to take advantage on this one. Please enhance the Windows desktop version all the more! Like adding external function for a webcam to embed photos to database/forms. Having this feature clearly makes Handbase the overall winner of all platforms! Most other desktop database has this feature specially for patient filing or employee databases.
richardmata555

Re: Windows 8 is a wow!

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing this link. I like the UI. Seems that are betting heavily on the tile interface of Windows Phone 7!

We do appreciate your suggestion for direction of HanDBase Desktop.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby richardmata555 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:43 am

Hi Brian!

Please also add on the Handbase Desktop updates the ability to run report on popups . I noticed it can only be done in iphone but it lacks in desktop ,It said only: integer, float, checkbox, time, date and calculated
richardmata555

Postby curtterp » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:29 am

More widgets on the desktop updating constantly, will eat resources. One question to ask yourself and answer honestly - How much time do you actually sit at your computer looking at the desktop?

For me, I only see the desktop about 5% of the time right now.

I am not saying that it is a bad thing, but I am not convinced that the 'tile' system is a good thing. On my Android device, I only have about 5 widgets that update information on a timed basis, none of them are up to the second. I am also not really convinced that I want my desktop/laptop to look like a Windows 7 phone.

The only touch screen I have is on my Droid X. I know that a mouse will be available for the desktop/laptop to do all the things that your finger can do.

One concern I have is Windows 8 going to be as secure as Windows XP/7? Are they still going to have Active Directory to maintain a large amount of users in a business environment? Are they going to allow system administrators to limit the 'tile' interface so users in a business environment cannot put a whole bunch of update widgets on their machine to limit the amount of non business internet traffic through the companies routers?

Another concern - are they going to abandon the IDE tools that we now enjoy on Windows (C++, C#, etc) or are they going to the Windows Mobile 7 model and make everyone learn new programming syntax to be able to program for Windows? Will they support programs in a legacy mode?

I know, so many questions, very few answers. I know that this is just a sneak peak at the user interface, but with Microsoft rewriting their Windows Mobile 7 software, I am thinking that they just might do that for their desktop machines, which will force LOT of people to shell out a LOT of money for the rewrites to the programs that they use every day.

But then again, maybe a total rewrite is the answer to Microsoft's security issues. There are too many holes that are patched, and with each patch, the potential to open up more security holes is greater.

I am not discounting that this could be a good thing for Microsoft, but a lot of questions need to be answered that they are not discussing right not.

Time will tell
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:44 pm

@ Richard: You can run reports in HanDBase Desktop. Click on column headers and you'll see the option.

@ Curt: You bring up several good points. The widget concept is an excellent one. To be honest, I never use them on any of my Windows laptops or on my MacBook. When I had a Linux machine running, I did run a few for fun but they were definitely resource hogs. Temptation is huge on my Nook Color and Mesmerize to load up on tons of widgets. They are interesting, but do bog things down a bit.

Hopefully Microsoft has enough sense to include support for backwards compatibility. They have a huge stake in the enterprise world, while I suspect their handheld operating system needed a drastic revamping to be able to compete. Unfortunately they just didn't have the sense to provide a compatibility layer with some sort of UI translator that overlaid updated controls on the older Windows Mobile interface apps.

Yes you are definitely right - time will tell.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby richardmata555 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Brian: what i notice is that you can not do a run report with a popup field in desktop but you can do it in iphone/ ipad. Hope both can do the same
richardmata555

Postby richardmata555 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Brian: desktop can do integer, and other number related fields to do a run report by clicking the header, but on popup field it can not. Thats what I meant.

Thanks

Richard
richardmata555

Return to HanDBase for Windows