Need for Speed and Space

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Need for Speed and Space

Postby richardmata555 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:49 am

Hi Dave / Brian,

Presently my Patient list already reached 29,000 records in my handbase desktop. What i noticed is the longer time it takes to open the database. I also asked a long time ago on how many records it can handle, the answer you gave me before was 65,000. I also believe the drag opening it will be longer when I'll reach that number.

Thus my wish is that we can figure out a way to speed things up a bit when its already filled with records and re the volume allowable is it still 65t or we can go pass that?

I also sure hope windows 8 will solve both my issues above in the future without you doing much changes. But I just placed it here just in case you have a ready internal solution that you can do easily.

Richard
richardmata555

Re: Need for Speed and Space

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Hello Richard,

Thanks for posting your concerns. You are correct in your observations. The higher the record count, the longer the opening / load time for a database will be. This is also impacted by the number of fields in the database, whether sorting is enabled, etc. For example, a database with 64,000 records but only one field would open much faster than a database with 64,000 records and 99 fields.

At present I'm not sure what can be done to optimize this, if anything. I'll have to leave that to Dave.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows