Index on Form page?

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Index on Form page?

Postby dkeiffer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Is there a way to put an index on a Form page?
Thank you,
dkeiffer

Re: Index on Form page?

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Hello,

Thanks for writing. Do you mean an index to other forms? If so, you can do this by creating an empty form that you set to be the start form for the database. Then add buttons to the form that have the action of jumping to other forms. On the forms that are jumped to, be sure to add a "back" button to jump back to your starting form.

Here's a tutorial you can use for reference: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=304

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Brian_Houghton on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added reference to tutorial and link...
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dkeiffer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:26 pm

I guess I should have said a List.
That would be a list of the records that are in the database. Can this be put on a form?
Thank you,
dkeiffer

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the clarification. The feature you are requesting is currently not available in HanDBase Forms. I do know it is a feature that Dave has expressed interest in but it probably wouldn't see the light of day until there was a major file format revision. That would be quite some time in the future.

Sorry!
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby simonclivehughes » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:06 pm

For further clarity, are you saying that it is not possible to display data in a table format from within HanDBase?

Cheers,
simonclivehughes

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 am

Hello,

It's absolutely possible to display the data in a table format. Record list view is essentially a table of data.

What I'm referencing is the ability to display a subset of a table, for example: a range of related records, on an individual edit record form. That's what is not possible at this time.

Hope this clarifies.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby simonclivehughes » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:37 am

Brian_Houghton wrote:Hello,

It's absolutely possible to display the data in a table format. Record list view is essentially a table of data.

What I'm referencing is the ability to display a subset of a table, for example: a range of related records, on an individual edit record form. That's what is not possible at this time.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks Brian, I thought that was the case!

What I would love to see for your example, is a control/method with the flexibility of Excel's VLOOKUP / HLOOKUP, with nesting ability in the logic. I recall (been using HanDBase a long time on PPCs) setting up logic statements but you can only have one instance, right? If I recall from just reading the manual, you can't have a nested IF - THEN structure can you? (If so, to what depth?)

Specifically then, can you use a field's contents as an indirect address for another (so the field value is used to lookup a specific record based on one field and then use an offset to find the indirect field within that record)? With an Excel table, I would do this by using HLOOKUP to get the offset value from, for example, a horizontal header row and then use that with a different indirect field value VLOOKUP to get the correct cell value from a row lower in that column of the table. In this case, the table shows losses of different coaxial cables (in columns) and the losses at different frequencies (in rows). The object is to choose a cable type and then utilize the specific losses at specific frequencies, displaying typically about 6 different results (in a table format).

Cheers,
simonclivehughes

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks for your thoughts. Definitely something to think about!
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows