Sync with Access and Ipad

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Sync with Access and Ipad

Postby sotic » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 am

I need to understanding the sync process to work out some issue I have. I am using Access 2007, Handbase and IPad/IPhone. I have got the sync work fine between Handbase and the IPad and Iphone but I get two files saved so when I go the Reopen option then I get one file under the Ipad folder and one from my database area on the PC. The PC version is the original file and The ipad folder version is the amended file, when I through in the iphone as well this is becoming confusing. I am after a central DB where updates from IPad, IPhone and Access can be applied.

I have not been able to get Access sync working in either direction. I have set up the Handbase Data Exchange for Microsoft Access but when I sync the Ipad nothing is updated in the Access DB.

I have read as much as I can online but I am now stuck.

Many thanks
sotic

Re: Sync with Access and Ipad

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:14 am

Hello,

Make sure you use set up your databases for Access syncing as described below. Please note that it is possible you are encountering an issue with syncing due to iOS 5. If you are using iOS 5, I'd wait for the update of HanDBase before trying to set up syncing with Access. If you aren't using iOS 5 on your device and still experience sync issues after following the steps below, please send me a copy of the sync log found in HanDBase Desktop at Configure -> iPhone Users -> View Log.

HOW TO SET UP SYNCING WITH ACCESS:

1. Open Data Exchange, found at Start Menu -> All Programs ->
HanDBase 4 -> Tools
2. Choose to convert from Access to HanDBase
3. Select your Access database, select the table to convert and enter
the full path of the HanDBase database to be created. For example,
use C:\test.pdb. Then click Export.
4. Open the newly created HanDBase database in HanDBase Desktop.
5. Delete all of the records, save your changes and install the
database to the iOS device.

Then you will want to set up the Sync Exchange entry:

To configure a custom Sync Exchange entry for your database, please
use the following steps to set it up:

1. In HanDBase Desktop, select the Configure -> iOS Users menu option.
2. Select the Edit Sync Settings option.
3. Select the database in question on the left side of the dialog.
4. Uncheck the option to use default sync settings in the upper right corner.
5. Check the box to sync with Access / ODBC at the lower right corner
of the dialog.
6. Click the Settings button.
7. Configure the database to sync with the Access database and table.
You can also set up any field mapping that is needed.

Hope this helps. Give it a try and let me know if you run into any problems.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby psnox » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:09 am

Brian,

Just a minor comment: it would have helped me - and maybe others trying to get Sync working? - if I had realised (sooner) that what you're providing here is a 'foolproof' way to ensure that the structure of the tables you're trying to synchronise is identical.

It took me a while to work out why we were creating something and then deleting it straight away (!).

Regards ...
psnox

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi,

Good point. This process makes sure your structures are identical. The deleting of the records in the HanDBase copy is necessary because if you don't, the sync exchange conduit will create a duplicate set of them.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby ScottMix » Sun May 12, 2013 4:47 pm

I followed the directions, but the sync back into Access is failing with an error message. My access database has a unique index field, and the error message I get is "Error was [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship. Change the data in the field or fields that contain duplicate data, remove the index, or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again."

Is there any way to synch with an "update" operation rather than an "append" operation? I have the index field included in the HanDBase database.
ScottMix

Postby dhaupert » Tue May 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi there,

Unfortunately we can't write to primary keys during our sync. It always errors out and so you must either release the fields from being a primary key, or (what is probably more realistic) is to sync to a second table and then run an update query in Access to move the database into your working table. Sorry I don't have better news in this regard!
dhaupert

Postby ScottMix » Wed May 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Dave:

Thanks for the confirmation. I had a couple of thoughts: What would happen if I didn't map the primary index into the HanDBase? Could I still synch? What if I did a custom mapping, and didn't map the index field?

Or, does the sync process read the whole record, update the fields, and re-write the entire record (thereby not allowing any kind of sync to a table containing a primary key)? If that's the case, it seems to be a near fatal flaw in the sync process...
ScottMix

Postby dhaupert » Wed May 22, 2013 1:07 pm

When there is a field that is an index, if you don't map it at all it should sync just fine. That's our workaround in fact, though it means often that you'll have to have something auto generated there!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows