Iphone sync IP Address

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Iphone sync IP Address

Postby C D Farms » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:24 pm

I would like to be able to select the phone in the list and when I select sync it would put in the correct IP address, so i would not need to change it all the time when syncing different phones.
Or is there something I am overlooking?
C D Farms

Re: Iphone sync IP Address

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Hello,

Thanks for posting. You will always need to verify the address, as there is the potential that it changes due to router configurations. However, we really should look into a way to cache the last used IP per device. There have been a few other suggestions / requests for this.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:50 am

As Brian mentioned there is a chance the IP address would change. The average router has an address lease time which gets renewed every so often (hour, 8 hours, 24 hours, etc). If a device on the router hasn't been on wifi for a while that address is reallocated and thus can change. If you're at home and have only one device that uses wifi you may find that the device pretty much never changes, or you may find that it changes all the time- it's really a function of the router and the settings there.

While I can definitely make it so the program caches the actual IP for each device (so that if they have not changed you'd never have to enter it again) there really is a better solution, bonjour. Bonjour is an Apple technology which broadcasts the services which can be connected to over the local router. Then the desktop can automatically find the device it's looking for and connect. This is the better long term solution and in fact, the new 4.8.2 and higher versions that use the new communications libraries already have Bonjour being broadcast. Now I have to figure out how to harness that from the desktop side to make the connection and while it's something on my todo list, it's relatively low priority at this time with all the other tasks on my plate.

Hope this info helps!
dhaupert

Postby C D Farms » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:57 am

Sounds promising, yes I realize IP addresses could change but, For me they have not changed in 2-3? years.
I just thought if it was not to hard to do, it sure would be a nice feature.
Thanks for your info.
C D Farms

Postby StevieTea » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:22 am

I would also like to see some method of fixing the IP address asociated with each device in the desktop application. The problem with the IP addresses assigned to mobile devices possibly changing can be resolved by setting fixed IP addresses in the router. Is this something that might be included in future update?
StevieTea

Postby dhaupert » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Most definitely. In fact, when doing the Android wifi conduit a few months ago I went ahead and did it that way, so I can definitely foresee that change coming to the iPhone version as well..
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows