Sync With Access

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Re: Sync With Access

Postby Small Shiny Objects » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:46 am

Brian_Houghton wrote:Hi,

You could set up your sync mapping so that the autonumbering field was excluded, and then use features in HanDBase to recreate the functionality on your handheld. You could add a calculated field that adds 1 to its previous value as a way of autonumbering your fields. Then define a relationship between the parent and child databases based on the calculated field.

By omitting all of these fields from your Sync Exchange mapping, you would run no risk of damaging your Access database.

I went ahead and created an additional field in my Access tables and I run an update query to copy the autonumber field into this dummy field. I'm hoping I can then use this dummy field as my relationship field between my contacts and my offices. Problem is, I still can't get any data to sync to my phone, so I can't try this out.

I can get so far as to create the text.pdb, open it up and HandBase, delete all the records, and then when I close it, it asks me if I want to send the DB to my phone, which I do.

I go in and edit the sync settings like you stated, but it still won't sync and I still get the same error about the autonumber field. I mapped the fields I wanted to merge and excluded the autonumber field. I don't know what else to do here.
Small Shiny Objects

Postby Small Shiny Objects » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:03 pm

Where do I edit the column list, so I can see what column it thinks is an autonumber field? I tried this again for the third time, this time not even using the autonumber field when I create the test.pdb, so there is not even an autonumber field to remove from the "Merge Selected Columns" when I edit the sync settings.
Small Shiny Objects

Postby Small Shiny Objects » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Still hoping someone can help me.
Small Shiny Objects

Postby curtterp » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:06 pm

If you want, email the access database to my email cterpstra at charter dot net

I have a couple of ideas, but not sure if they would work or not. This way, I can work on a copy of the database so if I screw something up, you do not damage your database.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Small Shiny Objects » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 am

curtterp wrote:If you want, email the access database to my email cterpstra at charter dot net

I have a couple of ideas, but not sure if they would work or not. This way, I can work on a copy of the database so if I screw something up, you do not damage your database.

Cutter, thanks for the offer and I apoligize for not getting back to you sooner. Unfortunately, the data is sensative and I cannot distribute.

I've given up for now on trying to Sync with Access, as it seems the capabilities are not what I assumed they would be. I'd still like to get this contact information on my phone though, so what I would like to do is just export the two tables from Access and import them into my phone, then link them. Obviously, from time to time I would have to delete everything on my phone and start back over with newer exported tables, but I am willing to do that.

So, can anyone tell me the best way to accomplish this?
Small Shiny Objects

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Try the following:

1. Open Data Exchange, found at Start Menu -> All Programs ->
HanDBase 4 -> Tools
2. Choose to convert from Access to HanDBase
3. Select your Access database, select the table to convert and enter
the full path of the HanDBase database to be created. For example,
use C:\test.pdb. Then click Export.
4. Open the newly created HanDBase database in HanDBase Desktop.
5. Select File - Install to queue the database for installation during your next sync.

In regards to connecting the two databases, I encourage the use of a relationship field in the parent database.

Hope this helps. Give it a try and let me know if you run into any problems.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby lizzie1965 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:34 am

This discussion may be long dead, but I thought I'd add in my solution to the numbered primary key/ inability to sync autonumber fields that I use in my surgical practice management database - HanDbase on iPod & MS Access on Vista desktop. I have five linked tables; three that I need to be able to add new records on the iPod, and two that I really don't. The latter two I use an autonumber field as primary key on the Access DB, but have an extra column that automatically duplicates this number into an ordinary number (long integer) field when the record is created. This is the field that I use to sync with the hanDbase version of those tables, and it is this number field, (not autonumber), in hanDbase that becomes the relationship field.
For the tables where I need to be able to add records in the field, rather that a sequential number I use a date with an extra digit as the related field. So, for instance the "patient" table has the date of birth (YYYYMMDD) with a "1" at the end (or 2, 3 etc as the records grow & I have more than one with the same date of birth) for the primary key. Found this more convenient than looking up a number in sequence (especially as the Access front end is very much form based & more geared to looking people up by name!) & adding one, and allows both the Access table & hanDbase DB a simple integer field as primary key/ relationship field that can be used to sync.
Dates of birth not so applicable to clients and businesses, but just using a primary key based on the date that a record is added might be an answer, and avoids the whole autonumber issue totally.
Hope that Small Shiny Objects has his/ her syncing problem long sorted by now, but also that this spiel may be of use to others struggling with autonumbers.
Lizzie
lizzie1965

Previous

Return to HanDBase for Windows