Display fields on a Form as a List

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Display fields on a Form as a List

Postby JAG54 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi!

I can't seem to be able to do this:

Lets say I have a database with three fields (register #, name, and value). I have 10 registries for the fields. I'm trying to create a form in which all the names I have registred are displayed and if I click or select one of them, the other fields are displayed (either on the same form or in a new window). How do I have to define the fields to be able to do this and how can I make a form like this one?

Thanks!

Jag54
JAG54

Re: Display fields on a Form as a List

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:34 am

Hello,

Thanks for posting. If I understand correctly, do you want to display multiple records from your database on one form, similar to what you see when you initially open a database in HanDBase? If so, this functionality is not available at this time.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby JAG54 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Thank you very much Brian,

you understood my doubt right, thanks for a quick response.

JAG54
JAG54

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks for confirming. I do know that Dave (developer) has expressed interest in this feature, so it is definitely something he is considering for the future. We'll see if it makes it in there eventually.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby basravim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 am

I would like revive this discussion, just to make sure I am clear on this subject; and if there is a workaround for what I want to do in the Comtact Management application I am working on.

In my app, there will be three databases; COMPANIES, CONTACTS, and ACTIVITIES. Each Company will have several contacts, and each contact can have many activity records.

One of my most important scenario will be such that, when a customer calls, I will want to enter the name of the contact and/or any phone number for the contact in a query form and be able to pull up the right contact, or a short-list of contacts, depending on the filter. Somewhere on this resultant page, I will want to have a button labeled Activities, which will give me a table of activities only for that particular contact that I select; newest activity being listed on the top. Then I would want to select a particular activity record and expand it, to clearly see all the contents of any field i want to see in that particilar activity record. Question: Given what has been discussed in this post previously, above, can I accomplish this scenario?

Any insight will be helpful.
MB
basravim

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:18 am

Hi

You can set up relationships that will take you from the value of a field in one record to a list of related records. The list will show in the record selection view that you encounter when opening a database. Functionality that shows multiple related records is not available in HanDBase at this time.

Let me know if you have any design questions when working on your databases and forms.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows