Client server

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Client server

Postby path32 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:55 am

Good Day
i already bought and installed HanDBase Enterprise for iPhone/iPad Add-on/ Latest Release Version: 4.7.6
Build R1

how can i set up a server client
between desktop to desktop or from desktop to iphone?
path32

Re: Client server

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting. To configure the initial sync with HanDBase Desktop, you'll want to follow the steps below:

1. On the handheld, initiate a wifi network connect to the same network your desktop computer is on.
2. Launch HanDBase on the handheld and tap the icon in the lower right corner. A screen will display "Desktop Connect" and a URL in the format of http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080
3. Open HanDBase Desktop on the computer.
4. Select the Configure -> iPhone / iPod Touch Devices menu option.
5. Select the option to Create New Partnership.
6. When prompted, enter the URL from the handheld and allow the first sync to complete.

You should then be able to proceed with regular syncs going through steps one to four. In step five, you would then select the Synchronize option.

Hope this helps to configure the partnership and sync.

I do want to note that the sync requires a local wifi network at this time. Remote syncing is something that we are investigating for the future.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby path32 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Sorry i'm new for this software.. but not in database
1.)what is the localhost of handbase?
2.)there's any documentation for HAPI?

I'm planning to set up a local network first, that can connect desktop to desktop

thanks for informative reply..
how about a Windows PC to Windows PC connection?
path32

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:36 am

Hi,

Thanks for following up.

Regarding localhost, you only need the IP address that HanDBase for iPhone will display when it is placed in Desktop Connect mode (tapping of the icon in the lower right corner).

Regarding HAPI, which stands for Handbase API, this is an older interface that programmers could use to develop a layer of communication between a program and HanDBase databases. This only existed for Palm OS, which is quite out of date. It does not work with iOS versions of HanDBase, and it is highly unlikely that it ever would due to restrictions imposed by Apple.

Finally, desktop to desktop syncing is not possible. With that said, if you wanted to ensure you had the latest file on each computer, you might set up a shared server that houses the files of use a cloud service, such as Dropbox, to keep the files in sync at the file level. Note that if you went the route of a shared server, the actual database files would be stored on the server and then the server would be drive mapped to the computer. Note that if you use Dropbox, there would be a copy of the database on each computer, in the ..\Documents\Dropbox\... folder. Either way, in HanDBase Desktop you would want to either add a custom user (see the Configure - Custom User menu option) or add shared database(s) to the sync.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions over any part of the above. I'd be happy to elaborate if necessary.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby path32 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 am

hi

thanks for the reply

how sad...

I'm hoping for client(desktop)-server(desktop) for this system in local connection.

any suggestion for this like php-handbase connection or asp-handbase connection?
path32

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:06 am

Hi there,

Sorry we don't have a solution for this sort of thing. At one point it was something we were entertaining but we decided to focus on the newer mobile devices rather than making HanDBase a platform that is connected to from other devices/desktops/browsers. I hope someday we may go that direction, but there's nothing for it right now. Sorry!
dhaupert

Postby path32 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:22 pm

that's OK, ;) thanks for answering my question
i really appreciate it, I'm still interested in handbase :)

1.) then the support of this handbase is one desktop or 1 desktop to many mobile devices or 1 mobile to many mobile by sync?

2.) i'm confused in the user type, (Configure/Sync> Other Custom Users)
this means that you can create a user but in specific mobile device?

3.) what is the purpose of desktop only in the user, since it will not support many desktop?

4.) what if my mobile is palm OS? i can choose whatever device then it can sync automatically?
Attachments
question.jpg
question.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
path32

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:12 am

Hi,

Thanks for following up.

Typically people use HanDBase Desktop in conjunction with a handheld device also running HanDBase. That isn't always the case, though.

The custom user option allows a user to create a non-standard user. For example, if you don't sync with a handheld you can in theory place your databases in any folder on your computer. The problem is that HanDBase Desktop won't know where they are, though. If you want to use the File - Open menu option to browse to them each time you want to open one, then no problem. But if you want databases to appear in the DB Browser dialog that appears to the left of the program window, you have to teach HanDBase Desktop where your files are. That's where the Custom User option comes in. Assign it a name and select your path. Then restart HanDBase Desktop and your databases will appear in the column to the left.

The "Desktop Only" option is for the purpose described above. HanDBase does not have to sync with anything to be an incredibly useful tool. If you really want desktop syncing, it would have to be at a file level and done by a third party tool. You could use the Dropbox method I mentioned earlier to allow file transfers from one computer to another. You would then configure a custom user that points to the Dropbox folder containing your databases, ie ..\Documents\Dropbox\myGreatDatabases\

If your handheld is a Palm OS device, when you Hot Sync the device it will automatically create a user in HanDBase Desktop named after it. The conduit should take care of that for you.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby path32 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:08 am

can i ask something about this
"http://www.ddhsoftware.com/description.html?II=DDHRT4W705&UID=20120725042033124.107.179.205"

it said that

Can I use my runtime built applications to sync data with another desktop database program?
Yes, this is a very common idea. Many companies are building solutions to gather data in a mobile setting using a PDA. The data is then collected and merged into a single database table in programs like Microsoft Access, MySQL Server, and many others using the Sync Exchange program we also sell.

May this can help to my problem?
path32

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 am

Hi there,

The document you are quoting is referring to the Runtime program we have. This runtime was a way to license a single product for unlimited users. It was available for Palm OS, Windows MObile, and Windows Desktops. So if you were working in those platforms, you are able to build a runtime via the following page:

http://ddhsoftware.com/runtimedev.html

That page will let you build a desktop or Palm or Windows Mobile runtime as a demo. The demo will run for a single day only. To be able to build an unlimited runtime you must purchase the license from us.

All that said, it doesn't include any sort of conduit. The article you showed pointed towards the Sync Exchange product, this is something included in certain packages such as HanDBase Professional and HanDBase Enterprise. It takes the conduit to a different level since it can also sync to MS Access (the Professional Package) or other ODBC Sources (that one requires the Enterprise package). But the conduit mechanism is still the same- it requires a local connection to the device and first syncs to HanDBase Desktop and then to the other database manager all in one single sync.

I don't think it's a fit for you, since it's still an on demand sync of all of your databases, not a live connection in a client/server atmosphere like you have been searching for. But you're welcome to try it out via the HanDBase Professional or HanDBase Enterprise add-ons. There are trial versions of each as well.
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for Windows