Importing From Access

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Importing From Access

Postby Ravilious » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:47 am

Hello

I am very new to this product and before I explore the hows and whys I want to ensure its possible to achieve what I would like to do. From a relational MS access database I have successfully exported two related tables and imported them into handbase.

1. All the old fields are there. can I restore the link and make these two related again?

2. In access within the main form a subform was inserted displaying the related records? to be specific the primary record lists a CD., artist, cost etc.. A related table appears as a subform listing the relevant pieces of music as separate records. Is this possible its a tall order i know.

Thanks

Stephen
Ravilious

Re: Importing From Access

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for writing. HanDBase's data exchange and sync exchange tools that are used for converting and/or syncing with Access don't transfer the relationship structure, but you can definitely recreate them in HanDBase through the use of the relationship field type.

To configure a relationship in HanDBase, open the parent database, select the Configure menu option and go to Database Properties - Fields. Select one of the unused fields and set its type to relationship. Then choose the field in the current database that will serve as the basis of the relationship. After doing so, select the database you wish to use as the child table and select the field in the database that will relate to the field in the parent. After doing so, you are all set. Simply open a record in the parent database and click on the relationship field to be taken to the child database. The related records will display automatically for you.

Regarding the embedding of a sub-form that shows related records, at present this isn't supported in HanDBase. It is a feature that we are interested in adding support for in the future. To be honest, should we add support for it, it won't be until version 5, though.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows