File Locations

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

File Locations

Postby Ravilious » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:52 am

Hello

I notice by default my installation of Handbase keeps synced database's and other information in "My documents" folder.

This is a real headache as the folder in question is on a work network and is VERY slow. I would like to change this to a local drive. How do I achieve this please.

Thanks a lot

Stephen
Ravilious

Re: File Locations

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for writing. You can work around this by making use of shared syncing. It's typically used for syncing more than one device to a single set of databases on a computer, but it also has the benefit of being able to assign a non-standard location for files. Here is additional information:

SETTING UP A SHARED DATABASE

Using the shared database option in HanDBase Plus or higher, you can configure syncing of more than one handheld to the same copy of a database on a laptop or desktop.

To do this, you will want to first move the database(s) in question to a unique folder. This will be the new location for the file(s). Next, open the sync settings dialog in HanDBase Desktop and add a shared entry using the controls at the bottom. Be sure to point to the database in it's new location.

Give it a try and let me know if you run into any problems.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby uboche » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:42 am

My databases are all in a branch off folder "D:\HanDBase\ipadvonuboche\". I can't see an option in the HanDBase desktop to select or change file locations, so I assume I was able to do this during installation.

Regards,
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:10 am

Hi Ulrich,

The best way to change directories is to use the shared sync method. You can place your databases in any directory, and then point to them in the shared section of "edit sync settings". It is typically intended for syncing of multiple devices but its okay in this scenario as well.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows