Syncing Desktop with Nexus 7 (Win7)

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Syncing Desktop with Nexus 7 (Win7)

Postby cbt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:26 am

HanDBase desktop version does not see the tablet.

Windows explorer does see the tablet and its contents.

I am running Win7, am I missing something?
cbt

Re: Syncing Desktop with Nexus 7 (Win7)

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:21 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting. We've worked around the MTP issue. Please refer to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2723
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby cbt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Brian, thanks for the light speed response. Your solution gives me a good alternative, however, my problem is with the tablet connected to the PC through USB (I forgot to mention)....

Thanks for the prompt help.
cbt

Postby curtterp » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 pm

cbt wrote:Brian, thanks for the light speed response. Your solution gives me a good alternative, however, my problem is with the tablet connected to the PC through USB (I forgot to mention)....

HanDBase sync will not connect through USB for any Android System software of Honeycomb or above (includes ICS and Jelly Bean). This includes the Nexus 7 (which is running Jelly Bean)

The link that Brian provided was the only way (with free software) that allows connection from a HoneyComb, ICS, or Jelly Bean device. Google made a change in Honeycomb that allows connection through USB with different protocols. This allows the device and computer to work with the storage on the device at the same time.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 pm

cbt wrote:Brian, thanks for the light speed response. Your solution gives me a good alternative, however, my problem is with the tablet connected to the PC through USB (I forgot to mention)....

Hi there,

What Brian and Curt are both saying is that as of Android 3.0 syncing over the cable will no longer be an option. Google changed the design of the connection so that when connected, the SD card slot is not locked out from either the desktop or the device, but as a byproduct, they had to use a media transfer protocol designed for Windows Music Players. There are no drivers to map it as a drive, which is a requirement for us to arbitrarily move, open, copy files. The MTP protocol requires some complex drivers and there is no way to do things like check the date of a file without first copying it- meaning the sync process we rely on won't work.

This is why we searched and found a way to map the drive over wifi, and have tested many different solutions before coming up with this one. Make sure to update the conduit on the desktop if you haven't in a while as we had to make changes there back in the Spring of this year to accomodate this.

Hope this explains it more fully!
dhaupert

Postby sarmitag1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:10 pm

The wifi solution worked well with Nexus 7 running v4.2. The extremely modest charge for webDAV was quite worthwhile and I would encourage payment for such a good bit of software. The isntructions above were easy to follow and no hitches.
I haven't had much success with the USB cable route despite getting adb up and running on my Windows 7 system; this approach needed a lot of messing around with the Android SDK to get hold of the adb exe. The trick seems to be to ensure that the Java precurser is 64bit if your Windows 7 is 64 bit, the SDK doesn't seem to care - I used 32 bit SDK (assuming there is a 64 bit version somewhere?)
sarmitag1

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately I have not had much (read *any*) success in getting adb working with WebDAV Server yet. Should I get it working reliably on my end, I'll post instructions on the required setup.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows