Databases move between folders

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Databases move between folders

Postby fredlef » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 pm

HI - I have four databases that work together through relationships. I've been having some issues on the desktop version but works fine on the ipad.

It seems that I created two of the databases initially in one folder but created the other two in a different folder. I have tried to move all four databases uneer the documents/handbase/ipad folder. I also deleted them from the original folder in which I was working. What I have found is that after a few saves the relationships quit working. Then I find that the two databases created in the original folder have been deleted from the ipad subfolder and are now back in the original location.

How can I stop this from happening so that I don't have to spend time additional time troubleshooting and fixing the issue?

Thanks,
Fred
fredlef

Re: Databases move between folders

Postby fredlef » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:19 am

Update - I have attempted to remediate this issue by uninstalling HandBase and renaming folder structure etc. Once I was reinstalled and copied over the ipad folder to the new HandBase folder the files upon synch were returned to the two folder structure. So base uninstall/reinstall did not resolve the issue.
fredlef

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your post and sorry I didn't respond before you resorted to going through all of that reinstalling work! That would not have any effect as the program sounds like it's behaving the way it was designed. Here's the lowdown:

For a conduit to work, there has to be some mapping of where the equivalent files are on both locations, in this case the device and the desktop. Some other conduits will show a big grid of file links and you can select and browse to locations to point to your folders and get things set up. This gives you much flexibility but it is a lot of work for something that 99% of the time is going to be pretty straightforward and simple.

In the HanDBase world, the device itself acts as the master list of databases and unless you set up an exception via the Sync Settings tool, the files on the desktop will mirror the ones on the device, but within the HanDBase folder in your documents location. So for example, if you delete a database on the desktop it has no real effect on the conduit- the next sync, the conduit will see the database on your device and put it in the desktop location, just as if it were just newly added to the device and synced for the first time. When you delete a database from the device, on the next sync, the database in the desktop folder will be archived (not deleted, but moved to the archive folder just in case you ever want it back!). If you add a database file to a desktop folder, it won't sync over to the device because the device is the master list- to the conduit, it looks like there was a file on the desktop and it's not there on the device so it must have been deleted. Thus, it will archive the file on the desktop!

In your case, you moved the file out of the desktop folder and into another folder. This results in the same effect- the first device will sync it back to it's original location and the second device where the file was copied to on the desktop will archive it when it syncs. I hope that all makes sense!

If you would like to add a database to a different device, the process is actually very simple- just open the file up from where ever it may be on your desktop and select 'File' and then 'Install to Smartphone/Device' Then choose the device name. What that does is copy the file to a special install folder that tells the conduit that there is a new database to add/install. It will then install it and back it up to it's proper location in the device's desktop folder. What you will end up with is two desktop locations for this database- the old one where ever it was, and the new location that the conduit creates a backup for.

If you have two devices and want to have them share a single database, and sync their changes together, you can take a different set of steps to let the two devices sync to the same location. Using the Sync Settings feature, go to the database in the original location and you'll see a section for sharing. If you select Share this database and then check the devices that you want to share this with, that's all you should need to do. On the next sync of those devices, the database will be installed from that desktop copy and from then on any changes you make on any of those devices will synchronize to that desktop location and back. This is how I keep my iPad and iPhone databases in sync and I even sync my Android device to one of those same databases with a little finagling.

I hope this makes sense- let me know if you need any further info!
dhaupert

Postby fredlef » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for the detailed response - good info and followed it all - except for this particular situation - although I expect I will want to keep phone and ipad in sync too just haven't gotten that far yet.

In my case I messed up when I was creating and originally syncing by creating two files in one folder and two in another. Since they have relationships they will not work on the desktop unless they are in the same folder. How do I trick the conduit into getting them back into the same folder?

Thanks,
Fred
fredlef

Postby fredlef » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:14 pm

I guess to clarify - I am only currently syncing to 1 device. My issue is with how the desktop version of handbase is behaving since the files are not all located in the same folder - thereby keeping the relationships from working.
fredlef

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the clarification- I should have been able to read into the very first post where you never mentioned a second device! Sorry about that. :)

The conduit always puts databases in the same folder unless you overrode the settings to make them appear in a different folder. Go to the Sync Settings and see if you have any shared databases listed. If you do, click on them and then choose the button at the top right to delete the settings for them. Then those databases would go back to the default location along with those that normally sync there.

Let me know if that solves it!
dhaupert

Postby fredlef » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks that resolved it! On the plus side I know a lot more about how conduit works now!

Thanks
Fred
fredlef

Return to HanDBase for Windows