Database Location - Keeps returning

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Database Location - Keeps returning

Postby Linus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:20 pm

I am using the following software:
HanDBase Professional for Android Add-on - V 4.2.5
HanDBase Professional for Palm OS - V 4.1
HanDBase Desktop - V 4.7.5

My primary PC system was just destroyed, so I am attempting to move to a backup computer (and later I will need to move to a new computer).

I have my DBs (25 .PDB files) and as discussed previously in the "File Locations" thread ( viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2601 )
I too have attempted to move my data bases to a new location (out of My Documents).
Unfortunately, the files keep showing backup under "My Documents" and instead of Syncing, the desk top is overwriting the Handheld.

Here's what I did,
  • Installed HandDBase Desktop Version
  • Connected my Android
  • Created a new Android user: AUser
  • Synced the devices

This resulted in the data bases being copied from my Android to my PC, into "my Documents". So I did the following:
  • Moved the "Android User" Folder with all files from "my Documents" to c:\Data\HanDBase\AUser
  • Recreated the "Android User" Folder under "my Documents" and copied the HanDBaseSync.log file back to this location (Sync can only seem to find it here).
  • On the desk top, opened Config/Sync, selected the user AUser, and pressed the Edit Sync Settings button
  • For all the data bases listed I made sure the Sync Settings were "Use Default Settings for this Database" and that those settings said "Do Nothing (Skip this database)"
  • I then pressed the Create new Shared Database for each of the 25 DBs in the new location (at this point I figured I should have tried it with just one, but.....)
    For each DB I chose
    • Synchronize this Data base,
    • Share this Data base with other Android Users
    • All Android Users
  • I then closed the Settings dialog box as well as the Manage Android Users Dialogbox

To Verify I was Syncing and not overwriting I did the following:
  • On the Android I chose a Data base and added a record with the key "___Added on Android"
  • On the Desktop, I chose the same data base and added a record with they key "___Added on Desktop"

I then synced the Adroid to the Desk top.

What I expected was to see both records on the Android, and both records on the desktop in the new location.

Instead, I got the following:
  • On the Android, only the "___Added on Desktop" record added, but the "___Added on Android" record was missing.
  • On the Desk top, only the "___Added on Desktop" record was still in the data base in the new location.
  • On the Desk top, the data base showed up again in the "My Documents" folder!

What am I doing wrong?
I can live with always having to "browse" for the Data base instead of picking them off a list (a bit of a pain, but I'm willing to put up with that), but I really need to get the files out of "My Documents".

I've been with HanDBase for a while, and have chance to develop for the IPod/IPad in the future, but if I can't get this to sync right, I'm not sure I can get sign off. (That project will have about 5 iPad/iPods syncing to a 'central' data base on a server, and we won't have the room for 5 copies in everyone's "my documents" folders).

If you need to know anything I haven't covered, let me know.
Linus

Re: Database Location - Keeps returning

Postby dhaupert » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:07 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and the details. You seem to have everything set up in a way that should sync to the location you specified. There is no need to set the default and the entries to Do Nothing though, the Shared section always takes precedence. That said, I'd like to see your sync log after setting all that up to understand why it seems the desktop overwrote the Android version. Usually the log will provide clues to explain what is happening. You can get the sync log via the View Sync Log button, and copy and paste it in your reply here!
dhaupert

Postby Linus » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi Dave,

Ok, I went through the log file and it pointed me to the problem. It indicated that it "installed" the data base.

So I went back through my steps again and found the part that I forgot to write down.

After I made the changes to the Desktop DB, I saved it. Then a box popped up and asked if I wanted to "install this DB on" any of my Android devices. THIS TIME I said "Do Not Install", because I remember thinking, "well sure, I want this DB on my Android" last time.

When I synced again, everything worked as it should, and the two versions were actually synced!

So what I figured out is that when you set up the data base to sync from another directory, then "Do NOT Install" the database on the Android after you make changes to it. A bit confusing since it is already set up for syncing....

And yes, I did see the warning, but I guess I would have worded it differently... of course now that I understand how this works, I'm at a loss as to how I would word it differently.
Linus

Postby greyman56 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Linus wrote:After I made the changes to the Desktop DB, I saved it. Then a box popped up and asked if I wanted to "install this DB on" any of my Android devices.
So what I figured out is that when you set up the data base to sync from another directory, then "Do NOT Install" the database on the Android after you make changes to it.

A nice trick you can use to eliminate the "install this DB" question
every time is to create a desktop user for the location of the DBs. Then
the message does not appear and the install does not happen, only sync.

See these posts for more details.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2375&start=20#p11408
and
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2587#p10942
Cheers, Graham
greyman56

Postby idamtnboy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:52 pm

The default location of the user file can be changed and have HB use it there. The key is in the registry. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll tell you where.
idamtnboy

Return to HanDBase for Windows