Another category question

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Another category question

Postby moneil » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:24 pm

If there is a software "gremlin" it will find me.

I decided I needed a completly clean install all the way around to maybe clear up "this little glitch" and that "little glitch". I uninstalled HDB from the Evo phone and the Nook tablet (with a CM7 n2a card), and errased all the files on both devices. I uninstalled HDB on the Windows computer (using the uninstall function on the control panel), and deleated the HanDBase directory, after moving the files to a backup directory.

I reinstalled HanDBase for Windows with Android sync, set up a desktop only user and moved the files back to that directory. I installed HanDBase on both Andorid devices, set up the sync relationships and that all went well. There seemed to be an "issue" with categories, so I recategorized every file to "unfiled", deleated all the categories in the registry, set up new categories, and recategorized the files, just so everything would be "fresh".

Here is the "glitch": When I go to open a file on the desktop, in the "category filter" in the upper right hand corner, I'm given only two selections: "All" or "Unfiled" though there are categries that databases are assigned to. When those databases are synched to an Android device the category filter there works just fine.

Any suggestions?
moneil

Re: Another category question

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately I'm not experiencing this issue with regards to categories in HanDBase Desktop. When yo uopen a database in HanDBase Desktop, and select Configure - Database Properties - General, no other categories other than "All" and "Unfiled" show in the category selection popup?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby moneil » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Brian_Houghton wrote:Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately I'm not experiencing this issue with regards to categories in HanDBase Desktop. When yo uopen a database in HanDBase Desktop, and select Configure - Database Properties - General, no other categories other than "All" and "Unfiled" show in the category selection popup?

That is not the area of issue; in "Configure - Database Properties - General" all my categories appear, I can assign a category to a database, add a new category, etc., with no problem.

It is when I go to "Open an existing database". The "Select A HanDBase Database" screen appears. On the top line is "Select a user", a drop down list of users, a "Manage Users" tab and a "Browse Files" tab.

On the next line, aligned to the right of the screen, is "Category" with a drop down list of categories which one could use to filter the list of databases in a selected category. However on this list only "All" and "Unfiled" appear, even though there are several categories that databases are assigned to, they just don't show up on this list. The filtering function is working: when I select "Unfiled" it filters out all the databases assigned to a particular category and only shows those "unfiled". The "Select Category" filtering function works just fine on the two Android devices I synch with the desktop. It also always use to work on the desktop version before I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. I was just wondering if there is some little qwirk I'm overlooking (which I am prone to do). I'll see if "tincture of time" might help :mrgreen: , it also occurs to me that I don't think I've rebooted the the desktop since the reinstall.
moneil

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi,

Thanks for following up. Appreciate your patience in my tardy reply.

Indeed, the feature in the open dialog in HanDBase Desktop isn't reflecting categories properly. I've made note of this as a bug so we can address it in a future update.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby cenzer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Dear Mr Houghton:

When do you anticipate a fix for the Desktop's Browser.

Thank you.
Thank you.

Charles
cenzer

Return to HanDBase for Windows