Need to setup a simple CRM/CMS between Windows and iPad.

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Need to setup a simple CRM/CMS between Windows and iPad.

Postby basravim » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:03 pm

I am looking for a very simple contact management system (CMS) to set up on my Wndows 7 HP laptop and duplicate it on my iPad so I can sync them without problems. Basically a lot of the data entry will be done on the Windows 7 Laptop and then sync to the iPad Then when I am in the field meeting customers, I will be entering notes, "Next Action description" and "next action date",and then when I get to my office I would like to sync the two devices again.

I am assuming I should start with either the Plus or Professional version of the HanDBase. To give me more flexibility. Additionally, at this time I don't want to take the time to develop my own Contact Management System, but rather pick one from the DHS app gallery however I will be looking for apps that I can make changes to my self. One of the apps that looked good was the SmartAssets Contact Manager (still need to check if this will allow me to make changes as I need them).

I am absolutely new to this downloading and installing apps, but would like to get on with this project. Please advise me the following:

1. What version HanDBase I need to buy for my Windows Laptop and from where?
2. What version I need to buy for my IPad and from where?
3. If I am going to build my own application will I need any other items an tools such as a Forms Designer?
4. Do I need to buy any other utilities to sync my data between the Windows Laptop and the iPad and vice versa?

Please feel free to give any other advise that a beginner would need.
Thanks
basravim

Re: Need to setup a simple CRM/CMS between Windows and iPad.

Postby dhaupert » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed response. This sounds like a great application for HanDBase! Here are the answers to your questions:

1. What version HanDBase I need to buy for my Windows Laptop and from where?

As you surmised the Plus or Professional versions would be your best options:
http://ddhsoftware.com/handbasedesktopwinios.html

You can buy from this page and see the differences between the versions.

2. What version I need to buy for my IPad and from where?

Here's the link to the listing in the app store:
http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/sta ... u1=hdbipad

3. If I am going to build my own application will I need any other items an tools such as a Forms Designer?

A forms designer would let you create something more uniquely designed for your needs. Not a requirement and you can add it on the iPad later from within the app for 4.99. The Professional version comes with a desktop based Forms designer, and is the main difference between the Plus and Professional versions.

4. Do I need to buy any other utilities to sync my data between the Windows Laptop and the iPad and vice versa?

That should be everything you need!
dhaupert

Postby basravim » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 am

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the the clear and precise response. I have downloaded the Professional Demo, to my HP Laptop, from the link you sent me in your previous response. I have also decided, and begun the process of designing the app from scratch, and not try to modify something from the DDH App Gallery. At this stage I need two more clarification.

1. Once I finish designing the App on my HP Laptop using the Professional Demo, or at anytime soon when I am convince that the direction I am taking will give me the solution I need, will I then be able to purchase the actual licensed software from your site and use the designed app seamlessly, without any hiccup with the actual licensed software? What I mean is that will I have to duplicate my design effort with the actual licensed software?

2. When I download the App for the iPad from the iTunes link you sent me, will I need to design the app on the iPad all over again, or will the work I do on the HP will somehow magically port over to the iPad and work? Can you please describe the process that I will have to go through to have the same app on the iPad, keeping in mind that the intention is to be able to enter new data as needed on either device, HP laptop or iPad, concurrently throughout the day, and then at the end o f the day be able to sync in both direction without problems? Will the Sync be as good as what used to be with the palm pilots and its desktop software?

Will look forward your response and from other members.

M.B.
basravim

Postby dhaupert » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:16 pm

1. Once I finish designing the App on my HP Laptop using the Professional Demo, or at anytime soon when I am convince that the direction I am taking will give me the solution I need, will I then be able to purchase the actual licensed software from your site and use the designed app seamlessly, without any hiccup with the actual licensed software? What I mean is that will I have to duplicate my design effort with the actual licensed software?

Indeed, all of our forms and databases are stored in the documents folders of the computer and so when you update or install a different version of the program, those files remain untouched and will continue to work with the full version after it is installed.

2. When I download the App for the iPad from the iTunes link you sent me, will I need to design the app on the iPad all over again, or will the work I do on the HP will somehow magically port over to the iPad and work? Can you please describe the process that I will have to go through to have the same app on the iPad, keeping in mind that the intention is to be able to enter new data as needed on either device, HP laptop or iPad, concurrently throughout the day, and then at the end o f the day be able to sync in both direction without problems? Will the Sync be as good as what used to be with the palm pilots and its desktop software?

You can design a set of forms and use it on both the desktop and the iPad (magically, as you said!). The trick is in considering the resolution and screen real estate of both of these when designing. For example, sometimes when you design on the desktop, you can create a big form that contains all of the fields and elements you'd need. When you run this on the iPad, it may then be too big to fit on the screen. At this point, the forms still work and you have two options:

1. Scroll around the form to get to the additional parts that are out of view. This is easily done and intuitive to most iPad users.
2. You can set the scale factor for the form to make all of the elements smaller. When this is adjusted to a smaller value, the entire form will scale down accordingly. Conversely if you want to stretch it to fill the screen, you can increase the value of this as needed.

Overall though, if you design for the iPad's screen size you should find that it looks good on the desktop as well without having to do much or any tweaking at all.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows