How to generate field name/number index

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

How to generate field name/number index

Postby idamtnboy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:33 am

I'm beginning the process of converting Smartlist To Go databases to HB. Anyone who has done that knows it is by no means a straight forward process. One of the biggest complications I've already encountered, and I've hardly started, is the fact the HB conditional field will only accept field names or fixed values as arguments. SLTG accepts an expression as an argument, and that expression can contain a reference to a previous record. Well, in the process of creating additional fields in HB to get around this limitation I've had to create several new calculated fields. Now for the rub.

The calculated field properties dialog converts field names to field numbers. That isn't a particular problem until it comes time to edit the properties of that field. Now the formula box contains only the field numbers and no field names. There is NO WAY to see what the field name is that corresponds to the field numbers in the box. That makes it extremely difficult to efficiently edit the formula. And I've got less than 40 fields in the first db I'm converting. Can you imagine the pain of cross correlating names and numbers if you have nearly 100 fields?

Is there any reasonable way to create an index that lists the field numbers and the corresponding field names? I don't see any, and there is nothing in the manual to indicate how this can be done. The only way I've been able to come up with is to do a screen shot of the field list in the db properties and manually add field numbers to the names.
idamtnboy

Re: How to generate field name/number index

Postby dhaupert » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:46 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. You bring up a great point and a complete oversight on my part. In the original versions of HanDBase, we would show the field number in the field select list, so it was easy to see what field number corresponds to what. That is missing from most all of the versions of HanDBase for newer platforms. I've actually noticed this recently when working on a database with a lot of calculations on the iPad, and my plan is to update the program to fix this in the future.

Here's what I did as a kludgy workaround- I took screenshots of the Fields List and then printed them out. Then I just simply wrote the numbers for each field next to it's name. I know this is a pain in the neck, and I wish I knew of a better way to use temporarily, short of using the Palm version!

Very sorry for this inconvenience.
dhaupert

Re: How to generate field name/number index

Postby idamtnboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:03 pm

dhaupert wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for your post. You bring up a great point and a complete oversight on my part. In the original versions of HanDBase, we would show the field number in the field select list, so it was easy to see what field number corresponds to what. That is missing from most all of the versions of HanDBase for newer platforms. I've actually noticed this recently when working on a database with a lot of calculations on the iPad, and my plan is to update the program to fix this in the future.

Here's what I did as a kludgy workaround- I took screenshots of the Fields List and then printed them out. Then I just simply wrote the numbers for each field next to it's name. I know this is a pain in the neck, and I wish I knew of a better way to use temporarily, short of using the Palm version!

Very sorry for this inconvenience.

Thanks for the response. I went even a bit more kludgy! I copied the screenshot into Corel Paint Shop, saved it as tif, did an OCR conversion, put the text into a spreadsheet, added the field numbers, and have a nice neat clear printout!
idamtnboy

Return to HanDBase for Windows