Unable to connect now

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Unable to connect now

Postby ja_baker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 am

This has been covered ad nauseum on the forum, but no matter what I try from all of the solutions, I can no longer get a connection from my iPhone (iOS 6.0.x) to my HDB desktop. I've had HDB for over a year, using only sparsely, and had been able to connect in the past. Now I have a need for daily use but fail to get a connection. Last successful connect may have been back to iOS 4, perhaps 5.x.
My results vary with what I attempt:
1. enter URL -- "File not found" @ browser window
2. Configure/Sync for new partnership -- "Unable to launch [hdb] ...sync & user settings. Perhaps hDb for iPhone is not installed? (it is, and latest version)
3. douse the router, restart and set to Airplane mode, etc... -- hDb does not "pick up" correct IP address; instead, it picks up another wireless laptop address, even when disabling its adapter and shutting it down (i.e. iPhone should find 10.0.1.4, instead finds 10.0.1.3)
4. try setting static IP on iPhone for 10.0.1.4 -- with Connect attempt handheld reads: "Error: to use this feature you must connect to a WiFi network." (it is, and can still access browser and mail with static address)

Got anything else to suggest?
I really like hDb and need to use it regularly now. A solution will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
ja_baker

Re: Unable to connect now

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear of the issue you're seeing. Let's take things a step at a time:

1. Are your computer and iPhone getting their internet connection via Wifi? Are they connected to the same router? That's the first assumption we need to verify.
2. Does your iPhone show the wifi icon at top left (three radar/sonar type semi circles)?
3. Are you starting desktop connect on your device? If so, what IP address are you getting?
4. On your PC, if you visit that address what do you get?

Sorry to get back to basics, but I need to get up to speed on what you've tried! Is there anything else unique about your setup? We don't guess at the IP address, but rather there is an OS call to get the IP address that the wifi device says it is connected to. It returns the value we then initialize and connect to. So I can't see how we'd get the wrong address by the OS unless there was a hardware related issue.

One thing to also consider is using the File Sharing feature of iTunes to copy your files to and 'fro' or to email them to yourself from within HanDBase itself. Both of these are temporary options but at least making sure you have an up to date backup!
dhaupert

Postby ja_baker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 am

Dave, thank you. My responses follow:

1. Are your computer and iPhone getting their internet connection via Wifi? Are they connected to the same router? That's the first assumption we need to verify.
Yes, both via Wifi and on the same router.

2. Does your iPhone show the wifi icon at top left (three radar/sonar type semi circles)?
Yes.

3. Are you starting desktop connect on your device? If so, what IP address are you getting?
Yes, starting it on device; get 10.0.1.3

4. On your PC, if you visit that address what do you get?
I get "File not found"

In the meantime, I rebooted the router again, and also installed hDb onto another Win laptop (IP address HAD been 10.0.1.3). Same results though. However, also in the interim, I had trouble with the 2nd lt wireless device and had to reconfigure it... successfully. But it was assigned a new IP (10.0.1.6).
The problem seems to me to be that hDb Connect on my iPhone is ONLY asking for 10.0.1.3 no matter what I do. It's set to DHCP & have tried multiple times to renew the lease to no avail.
Next?
Thanks,
Jeff
ja_baker

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:34 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the followup. HanDBase doesn't request an address- rather it asks the device what IP address wifi is connected by. That said, I've never seen a case where the device reports something other than what is in the wifi settings. Can you take a screenshot of a few things and post them here? Here goes:

Go to the Settings app and then Wifi
Tap the Wireless network you're attached to's blue arrow to see more info on it.
Take a screenshot of this.

Now go to HanDBase and start Desktop Connect.
Take a screenshot of the IP address you are given there.

To take a screenshot you press both home and the power button for about a second. You should hear a click.

Thanks in advance for your help with this!
dhaupert

Postby ja_baker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Yes, Dave, I'll get those to you. But as I've said, they both read 10.0.1.3. But my laptop is 10.0.1.4. Hmm...
Jeff
ja_baker

Postby ja_baker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:53 pm

Dave, here they are:

IMG_0064.PNG
IMG_0064.PNG (15.89 KiB) Viewed 964 times

IMG_0063.PNG
IMG_0063.PNG (34 KiB) Viewed 964 times

well, they're attached, tried to place them inline...

Cheers!
ja_baker

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for verifying that the same IP address is being shown in the desktop connect and settings windows.

Regarding the computer and handheld having different ending numbers it is normal as the router assigns, in most cases, based on the order of connection.

Next, we should try an ad hoc connection to see if we can get the two talking by bypassing the network.

The adhoc connection should allow the WiFi radios of the computer and the phone to communicate with each other without the need to connect to the internet.  If you do have some aspect of the network blocking the incoming connection, using the adhoc connection should tell us this.

Please try the following:

• Right click on the network tray icon (bottom of screen).
• Choose "Connect to a network", and then "Set up a connection or network".
• Select "Set up a wireless ad hoc network”
• Click "Next"
• Enter a network name for this pseudo network.  
• Check the box to 'Save this network'.
* Connect your iPhone to this “pseudo” network. On the iPhone, go to Settings, then Wi-Fi,
select the network and enter the password you chose.   Wait a few seconds for this
connection to fully resolve.

After you have set up the wifi network, attempt setting up a new sync partnership.

Please let me know the results.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 pm

ja_baker wrote:Yes, Dave, I'll get those to you. But as I've said, they both read 10.0.1.3. But my laptop is 10.0.1.4. Hmm...
Jeff

Thanks for sending the screenshots. One thing that I think may be confusing you- in our setup, the computer is connecting to the device, not the other way around. When you see the address given by the iPhone, that's the address of the iPhone on your network. You enter that to the browser on your desktop (or our conduit) and it then connects to the iPhone's address. It sounds like perhaps you thought the iPhone connected to the computer and have been trying to force the IP address on the iPhone to the laptop's address?

One other option to consider- do you have any other devices laying around that have wifi besides your computer and the iPhone? For example, an older computer, an iPad, iPod touch, Android phone or tablet, etc? If you do, perhaps you can try visiting that address on that device to see if it can load. That would eliminate or expose the chance that the firewall on your PC is blocking the connection between devices on the same network. Also, there is a chance the router could be blocking connections between devices. This would help us determine if either are possibilities!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby ja_baker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi Brian, thanks for the follow on.
I've tried to set up the ad hoc network 3 times & it looks successful, but then "Identifying..." fails. It does show up on the iPhone but I "cannot join the network". Interesting DHCP quads though, starting with the typical 169.*** address. Router is identified as 10.***. That any help?
Jeff
ja_baker

Postby ja_baker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:11 pm

oops.. I meant '192.169....'
ja_baker

Next

Return to HanDBase for Windows