Importing from Access 2010

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Importing from Access 2010

Postby Tim.Ellis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:17 pm

I tried to import a data base from Access 2010 in the accdb format. Selected the file to import from but the drop down to select the table from is blank. If I import the same data base but in the mdb format I can see the drop down table. Is the accdb format not supported even though it appears in the browse meun selection?
Tim.Ellis

Re: Importing from Access 2010

Postby dhaupert » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. We do support the accdb format used in Office 2007, but I don't believe we're able to support the Office 2010 version at this time. MDB is one we've always been able to connect to (all Office versions) and thankfully that has not changed.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby curtterp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:38 pm

There shouldn't be an issue between 2007 and 2010 Access databases. The format did not change.

I just tested it out and was able to import tables from an Access 2010 database. I created a brand new database in 2010 to test it.

If you open the database with Access, do you see a security warning? You might need to press the enable content button. That is the only thing that I can think of that might preclude the table drop down from being populated.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Tim.Ellis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm

The data base I have is very simple. There is no data, no drop down lists just text, memo, currency and a yes/no box. The same data base saved as a .mdb imports seemingly correctly. I did check the data base in Access no errors even when I ran the compact and repair. I'd be happy to send the data base if anyone wants to try it.
-tim
Tim.Ellis

Postby curtterp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Tim

I would like to give it a look to see what is happening.

my email address is cterpstra at charter dot net.

if you can zip it up please do because sometimes the filters will remove an access database
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby curtterp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Tim

Attached to this post is a zip file. These are the files that I imported from the Access database that you sent. I had no trouble seeing the tables or importing from it. I tested it with HanDBase desktop Enterprise and Professional. The reason why I have both is because I do some beta testing for Dave. But it worked with both of them.

I used the plugin (Import from Access to New Database) which I setup when I first installed HanDBase. Those are the ones listed in the File menu between the merge and print menu items.

I used the original table names that you had in the database. I also put them in their own category called 'Tim'

Since you asked about DBPopups in the email, I set the DBPopup fields within the database and tested them. For some reason, Pres Suit imported as 0 max characters allowed. So I increased it to 100 and it works too.

There were a couple of columns that I could not figure out which fields that they would work with. The column names are
  • Hazard
  • Value
  • Canopy Ptsn

I also setup Species from the other table to the 100Clifton table.

If you have any questions, just ask. Someone will be able to answer :D

Edited to add
My setup is Windows 7, 64 bit on both my computers.
Attachments
100Clifton.zip
HanDBase files from testdatabase
(5.2 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for Windows