Create a shortcut on Desktop for a Database?

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Create a shortcut on Desktop for a Database?

Postby fritzmom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi everyone

I tried searching but can't locate any info on this question.

I have: HanDBase Prof v 4.7.5 for Windows 7 Desktop

Is there any way to create a shortcut, that can be placed on my Windows desktop, for a particular database? As is, you click on the HanDBase icon, then either 'open' or click on db from Welcome to HanDBase - open recent database list. I'm looking for a faster way to access a db that's getting accessed multiple times a day now.

I'm thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, that if I should 'send a shortcut' of the db in question to the desktop, and figure out what program I can (automatically) 'select' to open it - I get a "Windows can't open this file" - then a desktop shortcut might work??

I do have HanDBase on my iPod Touch and accessing any db on it doesn't seem to take as long, but currently I seem to be doing more from the desktop than the Touch. Guess I'm just a faster typist (is that word still valid??) on a big keyboard than on the teeny tiny Touch keyboard!

Any how, just wondering if what I'd like is possible.

Cheers and Thanks

Barb
fritzmom

Re: Create a shortcut on Desktop for a Database?

Postby curtterp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Easy to do.

I am assuming that you are running WIndows 7, 64bit. If you are not running 64 bit, then you will need to adjust the locations I quoted to your situation.

First you need to set up the correct program to open the file automatically. To do this, right click on any database in My Documents, then go to "open with", then select "choose default program"

If handbasedesktop.exe is not listed, then click on the browse button and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HanDBase4. Select handbasedesktop.exe and click Open.

With handbasedesktop.exe highlighted, click on the little checkbox to put a checkmark in it just below the larger box. It will say "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and click OK.

Now go back to my documents and right click on the database you want to open and select "Send to Desktop as a shortcut"

now close all windows to get to your desktop. Find the shortcut to the database that you created and double click on it. HanDBase desktop should open to that database.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Re: Create a shortcut on Desktop for a Database?

Postby fritzmom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi Curt

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions. I'm running 32 bit, but had no problem.

Everything is as I wish.

Cheers and Thanks Again!
Barb
fritzmom

Return to HanDBase for Windows