Windows conduit fro iPad

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Windows conduit fro iPad

Postby dmj120 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Last night I downloaded "HanDBase Plus for iPhone/iPad Add-on." I didn't get a lot of time to look at it, however, when clicking on the conduit/sync button, iPad is not listed (iPhone/iPod is). I also hooked up the in-app forms purchase - looking forward to playing with them :mrgreen:

Am I supposed to use the custom settings? I'm waiting to get the downloaded on my work computer (firewall blocks .exe :roll: ), so I can actually start getting the stuff on my iPad (via .csv).
dmj120

Re: Windows conduit fro iPad

Postby dhaupert » Wed May 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your question! It sounds like you just need to set up a partnership to your iPad in the conduit. You see the devices you have paired up with in the HanDBase Plus conduit previously but you can click the + button to add a new partnership and set things up.

Let me know if that's not the issue and we'll take a closer look!
dhaupert

Postby dmj120 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks!!

I'll look for that tonight. By the way, in the iPad user guide, on page 23 "List View," there may be a spelling boo-boo :P :lol: :P

This option can be useful in a number of scenarios. One popular one is if you have a checkbox
field in a database where you repeat chedking that on a regular basis. For example to indicate
that you purchased something at the grocery store for that week or that you finished that ToDo
item for today. The next week, or day, you can use the Set Value To option to re-set that
checkbox field.

I'm gonna play around, but.... is there a way to select what's viewable/not viewable in the list view?

Thanks,
Josh
dmj120

Postby dmj120 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:35 pm

I downloaded the "HanDBase Plus for iPhone/iPad Add-on" to my presonal desktop. I don't see how to connect the iPad to the desktop in order to sync the two. I've eloaded iTunes, which indicates the HanDbase app can syn with the computer. The connect "http://192....:2080" doesn't work - I'm not wanting to wirelessly connect, I want to just plug-in and sync.

In the desktop / conduit/sync menu:
Plam users >
Windows uses >
Andriod users
iPhone/iPod touch users
Balckberry users
Other/Custom users

In the custom user window, I see 4 user types, none of which indicate an iPad (or any"iDevice"). If I try the iPhone/iPod menu item, I have to enter the "http://192...." which doesn't connect (yes, after tapping the "connect" on the iPad).

Where am I going wrong????
dmj120

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 am

Hi,

USB syncing is not supported by iOS devices. Apple has reserved that feature for their apps only.

You'll need to do the following:

1. Make sure the iPad and computer are connected to the same wifi network.
2. Open HanDBase on the iPad.
3. Tap the Connect icon.
4. Open HanDBase Desktop on the computer.
5. Select the menu option Configure - iPhone Users.
6. Select the option to set up a new user/partnership in the lower right. Follow the prompts, including making sure the address matches what is shown on the iPad's screen. The format will be:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dmj120 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:43 am

aahhh.... Apple being a PITA.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks Brian,
Josh
dmj120

Postby dhaupert » Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Josh,

One thing to add- you can use iTunes to copy and install HanDBase databases. There is a section in iTunes where you can see a list of apps installed on your device and if you scroll down you'll find a file sharing section. Only apps programmed to work with this feature are listed and HanDBase is one of them. There you can backup/save or install HanDBase files manually. Unfortunately the conduit can't work with this for the reasons Brian mentioned, but at least when you don't have a wifi setup working you can still manually back up files!
dhaupert

Postby dmj120 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Yeah, I saw the iTunes bottom portion. That was what made me think I could have used the USB - it seemed like it should connect to HanDbase, since it was visable in iTunes. I'll play around with that manual save/backup.

Thanks! .....soon I'll be playing with the forms add-on :D ...after the db configuring/linking/field setup

Aside from this Apple/USB issue, I'd love to see my company move to a handheld-server (perhaps the iPad mini) db sync, like my old company (but they used Palm). Of course, that would be a future project - and for the IT guys ;) But until then, I'm gonna use the .csv to transfer the web-based info to a local copy on my iPad.
dmj120

Return to HanDBase for Windows