calculating with series of fields in different records

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

calculating with series of fields in different records

Postby samsinclair » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi guys
please dont mind many questions - I just bought this software and so excited so far. Another question I have is this:
Is it possible and if yes I wish to calculte a sum of a series of fields in a database and use the results in a related database by using the calculated field rather than runing a report and using the results. e.g.
in child database A, F_update = F_1_time_1 + F_2_time_1 + F_1_time_2 + F_2_time_2 +...+ F_n_time_m (n is over time for records that belong to an entity; m is over fields for each record)
parent database B, X_m = Y_m - F_update (m is over records)
samsinclair

Re: calculating with series of fields in different records

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi,

You should be able to do the following:

In database A, add a calculated field that performs a running calculation of the data in the field over the series of records. An example of this might be F9 (current integer field) + P10 (previous value of the current calculated field).

In the second database, database B, you could add a relationship field that pulls the last value of field 10 across.

If you do this, note that the value pulled across will be treated as text. To reformat it as an integer, you would add a calculated field that adds the value to 0 and returns it as an integer.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows